What's new

EL wire interior light mod

crespo

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX 2.0 i-vtec
Seeing as LED's have been done to death on the Accord i thought i would try something a little different and took a little inspiration from Mercedes Benz and BMW.

I installed some EL wire in the gap above the glovebox to create some ambient lighting. This mod is fully hidden and can only be seen at night and brightens up the passenger side which tends to be neglected. The wire i used is supposed to be white but is a little blue for my liking as i wanted it to match the dial illumination so i may change it at a later date but it actually looks very nice anyway.
It wil be easier to match the dials in the SE and type S as they are red and you can get EL wire in pretty much an identical colour.

Sorry for the poor quality pictures but my Camera phone has a fit in anything other than daylight.

This is where my inspiration came from.
SP32-20051226-233301.jpg

And here are my poor quality pics, But you get the idea from them.
e213f483-3a13-4546-a055-be46faac449b.jpg

c8c17db3-e32f-4990-9541-2cc2927c675a.jpg

Looks good Neil wear did you get them from and how are they powered.

Looks good Neil wear did you get them from and how are they powered.

It was £5 from Ebay for 1.5 meters and its 12v powered. All you do is cut it to length and wire it to the glovebox light so it only comes on with your lights.
It only took about 20 minutes to install.

Its a shame my camera is crap because it looks much better in the flesh. Just a nice glow from the gap between the dash and glovebox.

Nice one have you got a link Neil as this could be the next big mod ;)

Nice one have you got a link Neil as this could be the next big mod ;)

Here you go mate. This is what i used.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-5-Meter-EL-Wire-2-3mm-Neon-Blue-Green-Glow-Light-12V-/150569898911?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item230eaa539f

The hardest part of the mod is getting the wire to stick to the dash between the glovebox. I used a hard plastic glue and let it go tacky before pushing the wire on to the dash. If you open the glovebox and look up you will see a perfect groove to run your cable where it cant be seen.
I tried silicone first but that didn't go to well and i ended up covered in silicone. I drilled 4mm hole in the right handside of the gap to feed the cable through then just glued it in place. None of the mods can be seen unless you stick your head under the dash and look up.

Here you go mate. This is what i used.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-5-Meter-EL-Wire-2-3mm-Neon-Blue-Green-Glow-Light-12V-/150569898911?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Lighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item230eaa539f

The hardest part of the mod is getting the wire to stick to the dash between the glovebox. I used a hard plastic glue and let it go tacky before pushing the wire on to the dash. If you open the glovebox and look up you will see a perfect groove to run your cable where it cant be seen.
I tried silicone first but that didn't go to well and i ended up covered in silicone. I drilled 4mm hole in the right handside of the gap to feed the cable through then just glued it in place. None of the mods can be seen unless you stick your head under the dash and look up.
Cheers Neil :D

It is unusual I will give it that..:rolleyes: but not for me.

I think it is definitely marmite. I wasnt sure as the colour match is not perfect and i like things to look OEM but the mrs loves it and it is growing on me.

Not for me either really but nice effort. The original looks fab though