What's new

Electric tailgate fix

Bluey

Members
Reaction score
Car
CDTi 2006 tourer EX
The electric tailgates on mk7 tourers were innovative and mine had been totally reliable for over a decade:

Problem: Having manually closed the electric tailgate onto a garment (wedging it for some hours whilst unlocked), I could not open the boot apart from via the internal mechanical tab. The way this failed led me to believe that it had tripped a failsafe so I spent some hours fiddling with fuses, trim and wading through endless chat on this topic which I summarise here:

Solution: 'total reset'

1. Ignition on

2. Open tailgate from the inside

3. Ignition off

4. Remove - &+ battery terminals & leave for 5 mins

5. Reattach +&- terminals

6. Ignition on (PTG light now off)

7. Close boot by hand

8. Remove key from ignition
I hope this helps - it might also work for the Mk8 Accords and CRVs.

I've been having trouble with the tailgate handle lever sticking. Somehow rainwater has got access to the handle lever and it has rusted. I can live with it as the car is old and I'm not bothered about paying £££ to put it right. What I have to do is ensure that when I open the tailgate manually I push the lever back into the closed position. If it's left in the open position the battery drains.
The other day I got the PTG CHECK SYSTEM warning on the dashboard on starting up and it wouldn't go away. I found the above helpful post and was going to try the reset today but the warning went away of it's own accord, boom boom. Maybe it will come back again as an intermittent fault, but my question is, would the car fail an MOT with that warning light? I have no interest in having an electric tailgate and failure of it doesn't seem like a safety issue but I heard that any warning light that doesn't go out causes MOT failure.

At the end of that I should have said failure of the electric system doesn't seem like a safety issue as long as you can still open and close the tailgate manually, which is the case with my car.

Tailgate fix is easy it's mostly broken wires on hinges

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk