What's new

Engine Problem

Kool Keith

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i CTDi 2.2
Hi all

Today I started my car and the engine symbol appeared, and a warning "check system" also appeared.

I don't have my manual I left it in London I'm currently in Birmingham, so I'm guessing it's the engine symbol (it's ubove the Rev meter next to the battery symbol).

When I rev the car it won't go past 2000r/mins, so I have to change gear at around 2000.

I changed the oil, air and pollon filters. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet, because I have never done it, but I have a genuine honda fuel filter.

Is there any ideas as to what could be wrong, thanks in advance.

You need to plug in a diagnostic scanner and retrieve the error code. No point guessing

Ok I will buy one, any recommended makes?

Also i drove around and now the car is revving normally, no lose in power.

YOU JUST ANSWERED YOUR OWN QUESTION, change the fuel filter. What you could try is to squeeze the priming bulb until it is hard, The car resets itself on switching off and then restarting, It will happen again if that filter is not changed.

for the engine, any of the cheap OBD2 readers with a phone app should be ok

also, how long have you had the car ?
and when you say "I have a genuine fuel filter", I presume that you mean it's not fitted yet ...if so then is the current fuel filter genuine or not ?

freddofrog said:

and when you say "I have a genuine fuel filter", I presume that you mean it's not fitted yet ...if so then is the current fuel filter genuine or not ?
I'very had the car about a month, I haven't installed the Honda fuel filter yet, I will to see which filter is currently in the car

freddofrog said:

I'very had the car about a month, I haven't installed the Honda fuel filter yet, I will to see which filter is currently in the car

Ok I couldn't change the fuel filter, my father in law said he will change it for me, be he did run a diagnostic check on the car and this came up

P1384 Glow plug circuit
P0502 Output Shaft speed sensor circuit malfunction
P1057 fuel Rail pressure control valve circuit
P1086 Fuel Rail pressure comfort valve malfunction
P0102 Mass air flow
P0113 Intake air tempest

The car wont rev past 2000, but when I a drive it for about 20 mins or so it Revs normally.

Some (if not all) of those codes could be old.

Usual procedure is to make a note of them (done), then clear them all, then see which (if any) come back.

^^ exactly right.

It does sound like a fuelling issue, possibly failing sensors on the fuel rail. I would definitely advise changing the fuel filter first and make sure you use a genuine Honda item.

Speak to our affiliated dealer Holdcroft Honda in Stoke and mention either myself or the forum for a member price. You might get lucky and the filter solves it.

yeah they all cleared expect the first code, which is the glow plugs, gonna change the fuel filter today and see what happens

A bad glow plug or relay will cause this, so look at getting those glow plugs changed. You must use
Genuine Honda plugs.

Can bad glow plugs put it in limp mode?

In regards to the fuel filter it's proven stubborn to remove, so will have to take it to a garage. My father in law, was saying something about the fuel rail sensor and injector, he knocked it and then said the car blew out black smoke and after revving it the smoke cleared.he checked the glow plugs, but he said he will come back to check all of them properly. After that the car was running smooth and warning symbol went. That was earlier today. The diagnosis categoris ed the glow plugs as temporary.

But....just now i've jumped into the car the car and it's in limp mode.

If P1384 is the error you can't get rid of, then yes it can be the cause.

F6HAD said:
^^ exactly right.

It does sound like a fuelling issue, possibly failing sensors on the fuel rail. I would definitely advise changing the fuel filter first and make sure you use a genuine Honda item.

Speak to our affiliated dealer Holdcroft Honda in Stoke and mention either myself or the forum for a member price. You might get lucky and the filter solves it.
Yeah thats what he said, it was mostly the fuel sensors.

Yeah When I first got the car I bought the service parts from Holdcroft, he did give me a discount. Will keep you posted

Hey

Qick update, it was one of the glow plugs, got it replaced and she seems to be running great again :)