What's new

Exhaust back box

Nathylad

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 Accord Sport
Morning all,

I noticed that my 1.8 sport had turned into some sort of chav sounding vehicle this morning.

I jacked the car up and can see that the back box has snapped just before the join to the centre pipe.

Is there any way I can temporarily fix it (till next month) then buy a new back box?

Why just before Christmas?!?! Argghhhh!

You could try to get it welded as a temp measure or try some of that tape stuff from car shops that goes hard when heated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holts-Gun-Gum-Exhaust-silvencer-backbox-Repair-Bandage-tape-GG8-GunGum-/181247212708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a332cfca4

Yeah I think I'll give some of that tape stuff a go Brett.

Ps, do you have an idea of how much a standard back box would cost? I'll be doing the work myself.

Yeah I think I'll give some of that tape stuff a go Brett.

Ps, do you have an idea of how much a standard back box would cost? I'll be doing the work myself.
Im not 100% Nathan but you could try places like parts co or go down the genuine Honda road but will be expensive.

Using Lings as a guide......

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S1T01&block_02=B__0200&block_03=2653

B__0200.jpg

1 PFKL380645 SILENCER SET, EX. £185.00 (€210.90) ($296.00)

If your mid section is in tact, where it joins then your looking at between £60-100 for a rear section. I think you can get a Bosal for around £80, then save yourself some money by fitting it yourself.

I got my rear and mid section replaced for £190 at Kwik-S**t after they sort of price matched HiQ and it came with a 3 year warranty, so rear section will probably around £100 fitted. The quality is so and so, the tail pipes have already got rust on them.

I have the OEM back box from my 2.0 in the garage, let me know if you're interested and I will get some pics up and a price for it posted.

Cheers for the advice lads.

I've ordered one from a motor factors for £43 new!

I'll give it a go fitting it myself. Not done one before but looks straight forward enough - famous last words!

Cheers for the advice lads.

I've ordered one from a motor factors for £43 new!

I'll give it a go fitting it myself. Not done one before but looks straight forward enough - famous last words!

Make sure you give the 2 bolts a good soaking with penetrating oil first and be very careful you don't put too much strain on the center section as this is where mine went when fitting a rear box :( .

Might be worth having an extra jack to help with holding or lifting any of the exhaust parts, can't imagine it being a pleasant job to do underneath a car on axle stands, that's if you are doing it like that, if not then lucky you :p

Yeah i'll have the axle stands out and use the trolley jack to hold it in place. Might get around to doing it over the next few days if I get time.

Well the old back box came off easily enough however where the old bolts are a pain to get off so I soaked them in wd40 and left it over night and will attack them with mole grips tomorrow morning.

Having problems now, I'm unable to take off the remaining part of the back box that is still connected to the centre part of the exhaust.
I called a local garage who said that there aren't nuts holding the two together, but studs. How would I go about removing what's left of the back box without replacing the centre section?

Never heard of exhausts being studded in? Usually with studs I think you drill them out.

Exec, you were right. The first garage I rung were talking b**locks, they were bolts and they had to be heated to get them off the centre pipe.

Anyway, my local garage removed them and put the new back box on and now it sounds like a normal car again. Happy days!

Ah they must have rusted on badly. Good to hear its sorted now :)