What's new

final drive

dinoc

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord Type-S
Has anyone changed the final drive yet ?
As I've read the TSX has a 4.7 final drive and ours only 4.3 (not sure why) ... and I was thinking to change it to 4.7 .
Or maybe try shorter gears also .
As I'm aware the Euro Ep3 has 4.7 final drive and shorter gears ratios , what it will be to swap that to a CL9 and maybe preserve the 6th gear (from CL9) just for cruising and fuel economy ?

ive got a dc5 complete box in a cl9 housing.. it will cost u mega bucks as this mod so far has costed me in excess of over £3000 ... its only worth if if your going to track it if not then no point really... the xo remap will iron out all these grunt issues we have and it really is an excellent remap on tap for us cl9ers

Ouch, why so much ? Did you pay a lot of money for the DC5 gearbox or is the labor so expensive to change the gears and housing ?
How is it to drive the CL9 with the new gearbox ?

What bothers me the most is how gears ratios for 1 and 2 are made, it's a big drop in revs from 1 to 2 .
As I've seen the new Accord 2.4 CU2 has much better ratios , also 4.7 final drive.
Will be a big/expensive work to swap only gears 1 and 2 and final drive from an EP3 gearbox to mine gearbox ?
If is so expensive at least I would like to change the final drive only, a 4.7 will be nice like the TSX CL9 have, and then a nice remap B)

By the way I've found this, if someone is interested (Civic Si has nice gearbox ratios, and 6th gear like CL9 TSX):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

well the dc5 box cost me just under £1200 for a mint condition warranted low miles box.....i then had to buy new bearings....shafts new housing and mounts etc and my 6th gear is my accord 6th gear for better cruising mode haha..... u can swap put the final drive i would go for the tsx final drive...its much better and more refined and better for the muscle accords

I see, so swapping the final drive only, shouldn't be so difficult and expensive , as I won't need other bearings , housings or others ... I guess ?
Should I look for 4.7 TSX final drive or any k20 transmission 4.7 final drive ?
Will I need other parts, too ?

u will need a new main shaft lope and also housing bearing aswell..one that fits a k20 shaft... its better to get a ctr final drive or if lucky a dc5 final drive... much better... if u got the bucks then id reccomend the spoon final drive..

Thanks ! I'll see what I can find out as I'm aware Spoon has final drives bigger than 5.0.