What's new

Finally some decent pics of my EL wire mod

crespo

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX 2.0 i-vtec
Just a little bit of £4 EL wire from Ebay.

It really makes the car feel like a ****pit at night.
6600476255_f3dd058b9e.jpg

6679747023_404c12fd1b.jpg

6679763099_a5e76c2ed4.jpg

6679767993_0fb489d5e4.jpg

6679773469_f4bf0147bd.jpg

6679777945_d4ae0ff3bf.jpg

6679782831_7998c8fb46.jpg

It is a very easy mod to do, Just wire the EL wire to the glove box light. Red+/Black- and away you go.

I glued mine to the underside of the lip above the glovebox lid as it is completely hidden. You could definitely do a better job of gluing than i have but i am not bothered as you need to be in a mental position to actually see it and the glovebox needs to be open.

Being wired to the glovebox light the wire only illuminates when you switch the lights on and is completely stealth. You can't actually see the wire at all and the light is a reflection off the top of the glovebox lid.

Actually looks pretty cool...

Take it you can get diff colours..?

Yeah. The world is your oyster. Green, Blue, Red, Orange. etc etc

you really could go nuts with this stuff if you wanted to. I am thinking of running some along the inside of the door pockets next like you get in Mercs and BM's.

I have to admit that looks cool B)

I added the ambient lighting package to the beemer which gives you the illuminated exterior doorhandles and subtle interior mood lighting, not dissimilar to what you have there in terms of final effect... except it cost me £250 for the option!

Great job and good result.
Curious stuff. A few days back did the same with red EL wire in both the foot wells. A bit disappointed though, as even on the darkest night can barely noticed the light reflecting in my feet or the carpet.
sad.gif

Didn't want something too bright (because it's always on) but that's too dim. I suppose they're not for illumination, but more a decorative thing when at sight.

Great job and good result.
Curious stuff. A few days back did the same with red EL wire in both the foot wells. A bit disappointed though, as even on the darkest night can barely noticed the light reflecting in my feet or the carpet.
sad.gif

Didn't want something too bright (because it's always on) but that's too dim. I suppose they're not for illumination, but more a decorative thing when at sight.

Yeah they don't punt out that much light. They are for tucking up in trim really.

int-lighting-715x230.jpg

689594_1243070_5616_3744_08c758_071.JPG

As Faddy has said, you can get it as an option on BMW's and Merc's etc and it looks the muts nuts at night.

ambient_light.jpg

I have to admit that looks cool B)

I added the ambient lighting package to the beemer which gives you the illuminated exterior doorhandles and subtle interior mood lighting, not dissimilar to what you have there in terms of final effect... except it cost me £250 for the option!

Well worth £250 imo. makes night driving much more interesting.

That looks great, Faddy those beemer entry lights look sweet imo a very nice touch.

I know, I thought they were standard until I saw a little disclaimer on the brochure that they are an option on the 520D. But to be honest I paid £350 for the DAB radio and I only listen to Radio 4 which you can get on FM. I think its fair to say I went a little nuts on the options list.

way it always is when selecting options, too easy! But well worth option to have adds a touch of class I think.

Nice. I think green would be good, kind of old-school WWII bomber style. Or maybe I'm just odd.

The pre-facelift has dark orange interior night lights. My scangauge is set to dark red, which goes with some reds in the dials, and the red EL wire can be also a nice touch. Got me thinking.

crespo, I like the effect, used to use that stuff on PC cases (spot the nerd)
nice!

J