What's new

first drive in my accord estate observation.

ericuk

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-ctdi exec
Is it a perception thing or does everyone pull up to my bumper in traffic? About 3 cars looked like they're trying to impregnate me. I've owned a lwb shogun before but drivers avoided me like the plague. I've just stopped driving my smart car (still for sale BTW) so this is a shock to the spacial awareness! Lol

Can anyone recommend a good reverse camera that has the guidance lines and stuff please? I'm thinking that should be on my wish list!

Can’t help you with the camera but I can certainly verify the spatial anomaly! In reality there’s still decent space left as you’ll notice when you reverse park the first couple of times. Even now I’ll park and swear I’ve hit the next car with my tow-bar, but have at least a foot or two to go!

I would have sworn before the accord it was a general feeling one gets with estates, with the flat rears and all, but the accord is just unerringly close each time….

Yeah, the rear is an optical illusion. I've shocked myself sometimes the size of spaces I've parked in. I thought they were tight and you could fit loads in the space at the rear when I get out.

But then when I've been feeling ****y, I've parked the bus with barely any space either end... It's a mad one!

The rear window -that's the end of the car. If they're not actually inside the boot, you've probably got at least a foot.

Fill up costs are a shocker too.... the smart car cost £43 and I just got £82 in the accord with no effort!

Wow you must have been running on fumes. I fill up at about 1/4 tank left and can usually only put about £50 quid in to the brim. With care I get 48+mpg, which is about 12p per mile (excluding other running costs). And that's with the Smart car in the boot!

:lol: Yup! She's got a big tank!

not sure about the mirror thing but on some cars I have driven there is an etching informing you the vehicle behind may appear closer than it actually.is

I've noticed this too with the Tourer- it's to do with the flat boot. The rear wind-screen is actually very near edge of the back of the car, so drivers look really close, but they're probably 2-3 feet away. In a saloon type car, there's 2-3 feet away from the bumper, which is also 2 feet away from the rear window. It's all about perception.

I've only recently noticed that in my S2000 that everyone seems up the rear, but again it was my perception. You sit so close to the rear of the car anyway and the rear window is only 2 feet away from you that I thought everyone was stuck to me.

Sell the hearse and buy a saloon.

Sorry couldn't resist!!

Lol I could see a coffin going in the back quite easily. Potential side earner there!

Drove to Bristol and back from Luton today. Kept around 70 for most of the journey and car stated 58mpg. It claims I'll be getting 650 miles to a tank at this rate which isn't to bad at all.

Initially it said 540 miles to a tank. I know.its not pin point accurate, but I was relieved when that figure went up! :)

Update. Had a wee headache on the way to bristol and woke up with a stinking headache today. I'm paranoid it might be a cracked manifold but can't detect any smell in the cabin. Taking it for a service tomorrow and will get the car looked at properly then.

Yesterday evening, the mechanic said everything seems fine, but when taken for a drive he found the clutch slips (I drive like a grandad and didn't notice) . Then coincidentally, the wife of the seller texted me today asking for some CD's left in the car, so I told her I'm not happy. Haven't heard back!

Did u get it from a dealer as u should have a warranty or if it was quite soon a money back option. If a private sale then there ain't much come back unless they stated it was fit for purpose

Hi Dan, it was a private sale. The clutch is not slipping majorly and I have driven on two long journeys and only noticed it slipping once, but sure enough, when the accelerator goes down in a hurry it's chaos in the clutch department.

They said that I drove the car and it was fine, which is true, although I didn't rally the car so wouldn't have felt the problem. They haven't offered any goodwill gesture (which I never thought would happen). I just have to hope that if they drove the car gently like I do that they genuinely didn't notice. I'm sure I'm just kidding myself though!

I've got a friend mechanic who has offered to supply and fit the clutch and DMF for around £680 so I will just bite the bullet and enjoy the car. :)

I'm new to the accord too, got mine from a dealer with 70k on the clock. I was impressed with how tourqey it was but have noticed that when I'm getting a bit excited through country lanes...say I'm chasing a 320D hypeatheticaly of course the more harder changes and pull seems to feel like it's getting a sort of brake fade. I've seen some threads on here about people who have had a remap and recommend a uprated clutch as the stock can't really handle it. I want a remap but think it's best to get a new clutch first

70k mileage is a good find. The ones I'd seen were a lot higher. I had a thought about remapping for better fuel economy, but now i know my clutch is slipping that idea is out the window! :(

Yea I thought it was a good find. I didn't think the fuel economy was that bad, I find my trip computer is saying high 50s in 6th at 70mph I know they aren't 100% accurate but it can't be too far off. As for ur clutch I've seen some exedy ones on ebay for not too much money maybe try that and report back.

ericuk said:
Hi Dan, it was a private sale. The clutch is not slipping majorly and I have driven on two long journeys and only noticed it slipping once, but sure enough, when the accelerator goes down in a hurry it's chaos in the clutch department.

They said that I drove the car and it was fine, which is true, although I didn't rally the car so wouldn't have felt the problem. They haven't offered any goodwill gesture (which I never thought would happen). I just have to hope that if they drove the car gently like I do that they genuinely didn't notice. I'm sure I'm just kidding myself though!

I've got a friend mechanic who has offered to supply and fit the clutch and DMF for around £680 so I will just bite the bullet and enjoy the car. :)
If there is nothing stipulating in the receipt that the car has warranty then unfortunately you are on your own with this one. ***uming its sold as seen?

Get the clutch done and enjoy the drive mate

@Dan I've been quoted for genuine parts. Maybe I missed an opportunity to upgrade but I was worried about the expense but didn't want to risk buying cheap stuff either.

@typer its annoying to think I've been ripped off but I'll pay for the fix and enjoy like you say. Its a nice motor and I won't let a slipping clutch and faulty hft module ruin the moment!

I Was with the mechanic today replacing clutch and dmf. For the record, I was playing with his dogs as I'm of no use to a mechanic lol. The bad news was that he spotted a leaky seal that I'm too tired to remember the name of. Its not expensive or a problem to change while everything is apart but he can't get the part until tomorrow which messes us both up. Honda said they only have had 2 orders ever, for this part. Just my luck and I still can't remember the name of it!

Aha! Rear main crank seal.