What's new

Front and Rear anti-roll bars upgrade

dinoc

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord Type-S
In the past I used to have a CL7, and after a short time I was not happy with the body roll of the car, so a I have upgraded the suspension with some coilovers from H&R.

And yes the body roll was gone, the car handled much better but the downside for this was the lower ground clearance and with bad roads we have here it became a big issue , there was some roads I could not go to due scratching or hitting the car underside.

Now the CL7 was sold with all the upgrades it had (including the coilovers) and bought a CL9 Type-S .

I'm very happy with the CL9 Type-S but again I have an issue with the body-roll so I had to do something about it,
but this time I did not wanted to lower it, because this is a daily driver car, family car and I want it to be able to drive it on all roads.

So I decided to try the anti-roll kit from H&R http://www.h-r.com/gb/f_stabilisator.php

I know a lot of TSX guys installs only rear anti-roll bars, but H&R kit come with TUV certificate and for street use they do forbid to drive the car with only RSB so you have to buy both, RSB and FSB http://www.h-r.com/includes/download.php?file=../bin/33251.pdf

Both bars have two holes at each end for soft or hard setting so you can install rear or front on what setting do you want in order to accommodate your needs.

I' decided to install them both on soft position as they are much thicker than OEM ones.
The RSB has 20 mm and FSB 28 mm.

The RSB was a quick install but the FSB required a lot of work to install, and is not an easy task.

With both bars on soft position the body-roll of the car is pretty much gone and the cars seems to handle much better, I'm very pleased with the result !

A friend of mine has the same car model like mine, but he has Honda OEM sport lowered suspension, I have stock suspension and the anti-roll kit,
and the body roll on my car is lower than his with Honda sport suspension:)

So if anyone is interested in reducing body-roll without lowering the car I recommend this kit, you'll be happy with the results and it comes with a TUV certificate !

excellent job mate nice to hear about these products and if they're any good or not didn't take any pictures did you?

I didn't take pictures during install because it was performed by a mechanic in a tight and dark garage .
The bars looks like those on the H&R website :lol:
I think it will worth to see the OEM bars and H&R bars side by side to see the difference in thickness,
especially the rear one but I've missed the moment as we were in rush with the install.

Dan bought the same kit, i cant remember if he reviewed his set or not because it was near about that time the new old thaoc took a dirt nap

Im gonna look into these too as ive not parted any cash yet for the progress sway i was gonna go for

I've bought mine for 370 Euros (entire kit both bars including bushings and everything and transportation, too) from a local H&R dealer.

Dan how how is the ride in the rear compared to standard? stright line about the same but what about on bad roads? how jolty(?) is it?

I never got round to a review guys sorry. however i shall add my 2 pence worth here.

As dinoc has said the rear is an easyier job just a few bolts really, at this stage its worth considering new Drop links as well as the original can be a pain to get off.

I had it done in two stages, I did the rear but as with dinoc i had a grage do the front as it involves moving the steering rack and subframe.

With the rear on there an immediate and very noticable reduction in body roll and that was even with the TEIN SS kit. Turn in became much quicker and there was a marked increase in the amount of speed i could hold in corners, (apologies to the already knowlegeable - ARBs compensate for compression on one side by applying force thereby compressing the opposite side suspension leveling the car and keeping the geometry closer to the ideal increasing grip). although the benefit was easily felt the back end felt to loose and i managed to induce oversteer a couple of times going round a corner or two and by turning in to quick or backing off the lound pedal to sharply (power off oversteer) on a track im sure this is fun on a public road with ditches either side... not so much.

Once the front was added there was no really noticable change in the amount of body role, however there was a noticable increase in cornering stability ie a less tail happy feel everything felt much more solid and controlled. As dinoc says the bars are front 28mm and rear 20mm. the OEM rear is 15mm on the CL9 which i think is the same for the CL7 and the diesel. The front on a CL9 is 28mm so there is no change in thickness at the front im not sure about the CL7 or deisel, however all metal bars are likely not created equal so there is obviously some difference in torsional resistance in the H&R front bar vs stock.

In terms of 'bang for buck' mods i would rate these ARBs highly and it is certainly worth investing in a rear bar if not the H&R set and i can say that this kit works very well with the TEIN SS kit and i suspect it would compliment the CS kit aswell.

ride quality in most conditions the ARBs do not affect comfort on the TEIN SS depending on damper setting on poor roads however the ride can feel a bit more bumpy but nothing untoward really i suspect on stock suspension the comfort would not be unduly affected dinoc can comfirm

Finally a better review, as I'm not a good writer :lol:
I must add, the front H&R anti-roll bar is much heavier than the OEM one, I've thought it was thicker than OEM CL9 but if you measure both (I didn't) you know better,
but definitely much heavier and for the mechanic it took a lot of effort to install it.
It is a very noticeable difference with stock suspension so I imagine it will compliment a good aftermarket sport suspension, also.
My wife drive the car also and she didn't complain about comfort after installing this kit and she loves the reduced body roll ;)

Dinoc you review is very good, and you not even writing in you native language! im just adding my experience of the kit.

If the kits got your wifes approval it must be good with the stock suspension :lol:

I plan to get a progress antiroll bar for the rear 21mm (on mine the rear is 14mm stock and the front is 22mm)

Roll bars are very underrated, if you want handling without looks perfect as you dont need to lower it, and as a addition to suspension upgrade perfect as well.

depending on your spring rates, there is one disadvantage, that is there is more tendency for the car to be affected by side to side undulations in the road.

If you have understeer in your setup add just the rear, adding the front and the rear will mean flatter cornering but with same original understeer if so. :lol:

Any review on Ultra Racing bars … I hear only positive reviews…
I use that thread because it’s very good and to update it a bit more not to create another one … :))