What's new

Front Disc change

Dan Robinson

Grand High Plumber
Reaction score
Car
06 EX Tourer i-CTDI
Got my EBC grooved brakes and green stuff pads this morning.

Spent a couple of hours this afternoon changing them. This is the first time I have done this to a car so was a bit nervous - but thanks to our custom google search and alnugs write up it went OK.

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

Now some of you may notice in the secong photo a little discolouration. Also, when i went for a little test drive, I did a moderate brtake from 60 to 0 into a layby and there was a nasty smoke coming from the offside. I forgot to check the nearside, but I am pretty sure the pads were binding. Now I will try and look into this some more tomorrow, but need to drvie to the quack down the motorway in the morning so will give it another gentle test. I am hoping it is just beddign in smoke and that there isn't a problem.

Everything seemed pretty clean on all the moving parts and there was no visible damage to the break lines. The brake fluid is looking a little "tea" like. B|ut I have a new eazibleed thingy delivered this week so again, when time permits I will change that too.

Hardest part of the whole job was pushing the piston back, and getting the inside pad into the carrier properly - I hope I got it right :lol:

first one took 90 minutes - altyough I was again distracted by the dude, and the complete disapearance of my copper grease. I hads to pinch some off my neighbour.

Second one (offside) only took 20 minutes or so - but then i supopose that is par for the course. No bolts or screws were difficult to undo ,and everythngi was nicely torqued up at the end.

As long the thing sotp smoking :lol:

Thinking back it cold be brake cleaner burning off, but the disc was mighty hot.

Dan the smoke is normal on EBC performance pads, it's just the pad coating burning away.

Looks good fella they can take up to 500 miles to bed in properly so don't worry to much.
The smoking is the coating on the disks burning off.

Cheers lads... I was wondering about that red coating. I got a few spots of copper grease on there and cleaned it off with a bit of brake cleaner and a clean rag.

I was a little worried about the colour but it ain't too bad.

Annoyingly the original discs probably had a fair bit of life in them still do I will keep them and measure the thickness one day.

I found that there was too much paint on the pads, as you say difficult to fit into the carrier, file the ends off so they slip in easy, problem solved. Re pushing pistons back I use a small G clamp. I am ***uming that you "cleaned" the discs before you fitted them? A quick wipe with thinners will remove the "rust preventitive"

Snap! Did mine today but I used Mtec discs with Mintex pads. Not done brakes for a few years so was a bit rusty (like the back of the discs) but soon got into the groove. I used G clamp to get the piston back in. I really went to town cleaning the carrier as it looks like it's not been cleaned for yonks, if ever. I didn't use copper grease, not a fan, I use Ceratec instead. The worse bit of the brakes was the pins - they has been covered in copper grease which was dry and crumbly, needless to say this was cleaned and liberal use of red grease applied.

I really wanted to clean the calliper set, but didn't have time. the pins were still shiny though.

I used plenty on brake cleaner on the discs, front and back. unfortunately I had no g clamps so had to use my hands.

the originals discs didn't had lip (maybe 0.5mm) but there was some scorching. once they were out they didn't look too bad hence I'll clean them up and keep them for another time.

one thing I could do as well was check for run out, but I guess at this stage that it less important.

My off side pads were down to metal nearly, but one of them had a huge chunk missing off the leading edge.

Do u not have to brake easy for the first couple of hundred miles when new discs/ pads are fitted until they bed in !?

Jus got to add looking good Dan

Will be good to see if the judder has gone now.

I doubt I'll be spending much on non-service items now... Want to get 200K out of it though... If I need new callipers then I might consider the upgrade, but otherwise, the stopping power has always been adequate, but heat dissipation has been the bigger issue - suppose the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Unless of course there are some bargains to be had ;).

Out out damn demons of modding. CJ you're a git! :lol:

Cheers Cliff & Oscar,

Yeah I need to take it easy for the next tank full, but wanted to see if there was any judder.

Looking forward to a little drivey drivey tomorrow :D

Dan well done...I'll be do doing same kind of DIY myself if I have time...

Cheers Ray. Give Al's guide a good read. Make sure you note the right pads for the right side of the car - I think he left that bit out. My discs were also handed, do male sure you get them the right way round too.

Dan, for me this kind of job is also first go..I'm nervous I think when I trying to undo the braking ***embly...I'll make sure that everything right...

Don't worry dude. It is easier than it looks, but make sure you have everything you need (Al's list is more than comprehensive).

Just make sure you don't have a three year old running around :lol:

I am enjoying the peace of mind of having a torque wrench too. My problem is over tightening, but for people who are not sure about things it gives you the peace of mind to keep going until you know its right.

Make sure the calliper is secured properly- you DO NOT want it hanging off the hose. I used a bungee over the top of the springs.

And also - Axel stands, Axel stands and chocks. I left my jack under the car too. Don't want it landing your foot - or the dude or dudette if you have them.

I always slide the alloy wheel part under the sill just to be safe as well.

I was sitting on that :lol: too old to be sitting on the drive :D

Dan did I read that correct.. you used your bare hands to push the piston back in??

How many weetabix did you have for breakfast?

Yep... damn reservoir over flowed on the second one too :(. Have to admit to wondering how to do it for a few minutes - was sure I didn't need a wind back tool. I knew I didn't have a G-clamp. In the end I just thought "sod it" and just thought of a few bad paying customers and their heads :lol: :ph34r:

Ten years of plumbing dude ;).

lol nice one with the hands :) please tell us how you rate the sound on braking hard after run in would be interesting to hear your thoughts :)

There is a subtle phsuphsuphsu noise that I noticed yesterday when I did the moderate brake. Today was a gentle cruise so all good. No smoke, no noticeable dragging. Fingers crossed.:D

Good news Dan/ But a plumber without a G clamp :lol: