What's new

Front Footwell Lighting

TheHole

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Honda 2.2 i -ctdi
Hello all

This is a very simple and quick mod to give you footwell lighting.

first remove dash trim from under the steering wheel.
The remove the plastic kick guard above the pedal ***embly.

from here you should not have good view to under the steering wheel / the mass of connectors down there!

on the right hand side you will find a series of connectors:
Remove the one pictured:
IMAG0604.jpg

then crimp in to the wire with the blue strip (pictured below)
IMAG0608.jpg

Then get the connector directly on the left of that connector and crimp in to the green wire (ground)
IMAG0609.jpg

(ignore the big red cable in the above photos thats for the amp in my boot!)

Once you have paired in to those wires you can run these to any 12v leds / applicable lights you want (the white one is + the green in the ground)

Re ***emble the lower dash and now attack the passanger side.

Undo the to 8mm nuts at the bottom of the glove box and remove the glove box.
straight infront of you on the left hand side you will see a few connectors again.

Pair in to this wire (with is +)
IMAG0613.jpg

IMAG0616.jpg

re insert that connector and get the other connector on the left hand side.

Again, pair in to the green wire here which is the ground.
IMAG0617.jpg

again wire these to what ever you like and re ***emble.

Job done :)

This allows you to have independant footwell lighting for the front two doors.
I will update this again soon to include the rear, but i need more time to rip the car apart!

Adam

Sorry, Adam, could you please be more specific about the colors of the wires to crimp to?
For example, in the third picture you say to crimp to the green, wire, but I see the yellow with green stripe, but there's also a green one there.

And in my case, it's all the other way round, because of LHD, I suppose. Let's see.

Hi Joooe

Im colour blind ;)
what i will do is take better pictures later tonight and plot pin position for you :)

How do you get all the trims off? I'm scared of breaking all the clips on mine. Can't see the wires I'm looking for on those connectors - how many plugs are there behind the dash?

Sorry the initial write up was written with my little girl yelling in my ear :(. poor girl isnt well.

Removal of trim:

Driver side

The section that you will be removing is the trim underneath the steering wheel, this trim also contains the coin tray.

To remove you need to get your fingers between the steering wheel boss and the trim and slowly pull towards you.
It is held on by poppers so will come off but expect some resistance.
Try working from the coin tray side of the steering wheel around to the center consol area. Once the right side of the trim is away from its holder the left will follow without issue (I will get some pictures up)

Still on the drivers side you now have to content with what i cann the 'kick pannel'. this is the sheet of plastic directly above the pedals.
Once the first bit of trim is removed you will see the fuse pannel and other bits. if you look just below the fuse pannel you will find some small clips that connect the kick pannel to the dash.

Once again just gently pull this trim down towards the floor and it will come off.
the Connectors that you need to locate are on the door side of the footwell and just above pedal height.

Passanger side:

There are two 8mm bolts that hold the glove box in place, they are situated on the under side of the glove box (so leave it shut!).
Once these two bolts have been un-done then the glove box should pull out once the damper arm has been detatched.

The connectors are now visible for the necassary mod on the lower left hand side behind the glove box.

PS:
I Will take some more pictures this evening as its not hard to pull all the trim off. I will do a more 'step by step' approach :)

Trev, i still have those side lights your after BTW ;)

Thanks for sharing that..Will do this mod, any idea what led is ideal for foodwell lighting?

If these are linked to the front doors opening, does that mean they are on the same fader/delay as the interior cabin lights? If yes, does that also mean that if I move the selector (on the roof) to the ON position to turn the interior cabin lights on, will the footwell lights also come on? Thanks.

ps - I am still hunting, but did you take more pics and did you get a chance to do the rear as well?

Wow... sorry guys I forgot about this DIY.

The lights are linked to the doors only... door open = foot light on. Door shut = light off.

I doubt it would be hard to find the light feed for the roof switch if you want.

I haven't done the rear as university, work and family life has taken its toll on my free time!

I doubt it would be hard to find the light feed for the roof switch if you want.

I asked on here before and nobody seemed to know how, I've still got my LED strips lying around somewhere cos I gave up on the idea.

I know it's a yellow with blue stripe and a green with red stripe going to the rear ceiling light, one is 12V and the other drops from 12V down to about 7V I think when the light comes on. That's the way I wanted it so they light up when I unlock the car.

Well.. I may have some time room myself tomorrow morning.. let me see if I can find it for you :)

I was kinda thinking the same thing myself - it would be cool to have them come on when you unlock the car and also come on (wired into the roof switch) you know, so they are doing almost the same thing the interior cabin lights are doing... if that's possible both at the same time I mean?

in the new jags you get mood lighting. like a nice soft blue glow. wouldnt mind some of that myself.

Hey everyone, just to let you know. I tries this mod the other day and it works a treat, dead simple to do. The driverside is a little harder as it's awkward to get to the wires on the plugs but a little patients and it works. Passenger side is easy two bolts to whip the glove box out and the wiring is right infront of you so easy to access and complete this mod. Many thanks, looks great!!

Great how-to. Wich led/light kit do you guys recommend? I want the normal oem yellowish look like in ford mondeos and other makes, rather then the bright white :)

Curious to know which LED kits r best myself.
How hard would this b to have the footwell lighting wired so they come on when u turn ur lights on at night?

My mate has a 2014 Focus ST and his footwells glow red at night with his headlights and it looks awesome ;-)

Just run the Wires along the A pillar and across roof lining to the interior light. Find out which is the live that fades the bulb light away. Should be easy.

Wozza! A man of your calibre should know how to do this. PM me if you want a little ***istance :)

Neil Pascoe said:
Just run the Wires along the A pillar and across roof lining to the interior light. Find out which is the live that fades the bulb light away. Should be easy.
Should be easy? Took me a couple of bloody weeks to figure it out!
* Remove A-pillar trim and strip the big black wire-loom.
* you need the green-red wire, it's the - for your ledstrip

* in the fusebox, find the fuse for interior light. Should be fuse #6
* use a fuse-splice piggy back to pull a wire from this one, it's your + for your ledstrip

Now you have the footwell lights to dome like your ceiling light