What's new

Gear Change Prompt Display

stonking

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Exc
Hi, Does anyone know what triggers the green light to display saying change up or change down? Mine seems to say change down in 5th gear and sort of gets stuck on. I might be going mad.

Regards

Stephen

From what I can tell it’s a eco driving device and it’s trigerd by RPM.
After a wile you won’t even look at it as TBO it’s a waste of time.

Mine says change down most of the time! If the engine's not labouring, I'm not in a hurry to push the revs up.
If I've been out in a (5 speed) pool car all day, occasionally I forget about 6th on my way home and light serves as a reminder -that hardly justifies its existence though...

Hi stonking,

My idtec Tourer seems to tell me to change up at 2000 revs, and to change down at 1500 revs.

1500 revs equates to 40 mph in 5th gear, and 50 mph in 6th gear on the speedo.

in the 50mph (average speed camera/roadworks) I run at about 52 on the speedo (which I think is a genuine 50) and this just keeps me in the rev range for 6th gear, without the green warning light to change down.

If you keep within these limits the MPG is good.

Thanks for the replies. I thought it was something clever that detected the engine labouring or something.

Regards

It can also depend on the car load! on mine with roof box, three adults and loaded to the hilt with camping kit it will advise to change down at 70mph on the flat.