What's new

Gears hard to engage

Axlebart

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Type-S
Within last several days I've notice 1st and 2nd gears are particularly notch-y and difficult to engage. I'm literally having to force the gear stick to go home by strong-arming it into position. Reverse gear is also hard to get the gear stick out of. I'm having to fully press down the clutch pedal to the floor to ensure I can get the gears home. I'm a concerned that something is about to go pop.

All fluids are topped-up.

Any ideas before I bang it in to a garage?

Last edited:
There is an adjuster on the clutch pedal, mine had slipped so the clutch was biting as soon as you moved the clutch pedal, once adjusted it was back to feeling like new again. It stopped me getting into reverse without a crunch and made other gears very difficult to get into. I thought it was the clutch gone but it wasn't.

Just wanted to update for sake of prosperity...

Took it into a garage in summer 2022. They found clutch ***embly was coming away from the chassis, so they (crudely) welded it back on. By last winter the weld had given up the ghost. I gave up and took the car into my local dealership. They fitted a new clutch ***embly which fixed the problem. Was about £300-ish but I was more than happy to get it sorted.