What's new

Gen 8 Accord Tourer Rear Hub advice needed please!

Tom_Fun

Reaction score
Car
Tourer ES GT 2.2d
Hi Folks, I'm a new Honda owner and have just picked up a '09 2.2 I-DTEC ES GT Tourer (I've been eyeing one up for years!). I'm chuffed to bits with it so far apart from the current problem but hopefully you guys will be able to steer me in the right direction!

When I bought the car I knew that I'd have to change the O/S rear bearing (no big deal I thought) and booked it in at my local (non Honda) garage. I've just been told by the garage that they can't get the right part. They have used 2 different suppliers all who had different part numbers for the hub ***embly, and none of them fit my car. I've been told that the bearing fits in fine but the bolts don't line up with the bolt holes on the ***embly.

Has anyone had any experience of this please? Is it likely that i need a proper visit to a Honda dealer to resolve?

Thanks in advance!

The Lings part number is listed as part 3. Cox Honda have it listed at about £170.

Attachments

• hub.png
    hub.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 12
I have had this exact same problem.

There are two types of hub.

This one above will fit

This one wont fit.

If you look closely, the square bit is shaped slightly differently. The equal square shape one will not fit, but the one with the bump on the square bit will fit.

Trust me, i've been there and figured this out myself.

Thanks for that! I found links to that lings web site earlier but like a dufus, i was looking for bearing. Didn't think to look for rear brake.

Thanks again, item ordered and hopefully my garage can fit it asap!

@nokia I saw your reply moments after I had ordered the Honda part!

I'll order one of those and send the Honda part back, that is a significant saving!

Thanks again guys ;)

Just to clarify, in our accords rears (and fronts) hub nuckle ***embly differs from model to model. there is no clarification which one do you have, until you look at it.
So it goes: if your car has handbrake in drum-disk brake is one model of rear bearing and if your car has handbrake in brake caliper - rear bearing is another part model.

original honda parts catalogues does not clarify this, so there will be errors in ordering parts.

handbrake in drum disk is 305mm whide, it goes with this wheel bearing:
width: 85mm
inner-diameter: 38mm
outter-diameter: 153mm
OEM part number: 42200-TL0-G51 HONDA

handbrake in brake caliper is 282mm wide, it goes with this wheel bearing:
width: 62mm
inner-diameter: 30mm
outter-diameter: 72mm
OEM part number: 42200-TA0-A51 HONDA OR 42200-TA0-A51 S1 HONDA

Thanks very much for all the help guys, I really appreciate it!

While i agree with @julekasMobilek, the main difference comes from the fact the rear hub ***embly of the Saloon and Tourer are completely different setups. The Saloon has the normal caliper operated handbrake, whereas the Tourer operates shoes in the disk ***embly. If you us the Lings website it will let you select the correct model and variant and display the correct items.

I have a saloon 8th gen and shoes in the disc for the handbrake.

In the 7th Gen, it used to be handbrake shoes on the tourer and normal on the saloon.

Garage have confirmed its 305mm wide. I had ordered both parts just to be sure before they confirmed that.

While i agree with @julekasMobilek, the main difference comes from the fact the rear hub ***embly of the Saloon and Tourer are completely different setups. The Saloon has the normal caliper operated handbrake, whereas the Tourer operates shoes in the disk ***embly. If you us the Lings website it will let you select the correct model and variant and display the correct items.
Not just it.
It can be saloon/sedan with drum brakes and tourer with handbrake in calipers. It can be automatic or manual... It just a mess. I somewhere found that first accords 2009 may production line only had handbrake in calipers and after few month, 2009 july and later they launched also handbrake in drums.

The same goes with front calipers, first tought that should come in mind, that only type S diesel accords would have two piston front calipers, but no, it can be 2.4 vtec engine, diesel tourer or saloon, just... because :)

This is where you need accurate VIN info, like from a dealer.
Unfortunately a lot of the online part suppliers will just ask for general vehicle details and from that will produce a list of parts that you choose from which means you have to know exactly what you are dealing with and sizes etc.
This is fine if you have the dimensions and know what you are looking at but for many people they just order the cheapest part and consequently may or may not get the part that will actually fit.