Grrr. Missed these wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin Mervin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Jazz
I've been watching these all week, exchanged emals with the seller......checked the progress of the auction while cooking dinner tonight.

Sat down, started eating and chatting with the kids etc.....phone goes 'peep' 'peep'...what does that mean....the ruddy auction has ended. :eek:

Damn annoyed as it goes. They were just down the road from me and they are just about the first reasonable priced set of these I've seen come up in ages.

Decent rubber on all of 'em too. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300812213438?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

$(KGrHqJ,!i!FBcvyTCWNBQmFg0HHo!~~60_12.JPG

If I'm that interested in somethng I put it in the calender in my phone.
e.g. on that I 'd have put it in the calender at 18:30 with ***le "ebay end time 18:32" with alert 10 mins before, and also set the main alarm for saturday at 18:15.

If I'm that interested in somethng I put it in the calender in my phone.
e.g. on that I 'd have put it in the calender at 18:30 with ***le "ebay end time 18:32" with alert 10 mins before, and also set the main alarm for saturday at 18:15.

Yeh.....my ebay app automatically alerts me to the imminent ending of the auction....I just ended up getting distracted. :angry:

Yeh, Irfan.....nice looking wheels tbh. Just like my Epsilons but bigger and better! B)

That sucks mate, happens to me all the time. I love these wheels too, just like me Epsilons but bigger and better! :p Seen them in flesh on civics and they look the business, more elegant and sleeker. Hope you get them some day, these deserve to be put on Accord. Altimo, right? Good luck hunting. Dan

Nice wheels indeed but maybe this person had a massive final bid so the price could have gone up loads.
Sorry just trying to make you feel better. Loads of wheels out there pal.
When I got my storms I bought them blindly with only seeing a rubbish quality pic. I did travel an hour for them but it was worth it. The wheels were mint with Michelin rubber all round which was good. Sometimes it's just timing pal and I'm sure another set will come up.

Auctionsniper gents - auctionsniper.

Love those wheels, but then again, i am biased as i've got a set on mine. Surprised they went for so much though. When i got mine it was a set of 5, all with cracking rubber on them and they had only just been refurbed so were flawless, only paid £400, so £321 for 4 with kerbing is a bit much

Tbh when I got my storms they were immaculate and I got them at a cracking price and that was 3+ years ago.
Moral is no matter how cheap you think an item is you can always get it cheaper with a little patience and searching.

which Honda do they come on?

I like Honda wheels bit the problem is they are just to skinny to fill the at arches properly.

Yeah, Sorry Merv. Ive been after a set for ages to replace my little 16" smartie top wheels. Looked at the Storm ones, but I think they look a bit 'blingy'. Your epsilons look pretty cool though, so don't worry too much mate.

Nice one! Get some pics up when you get 'em fitted!

Cheers Ben.....I've been in touch with the seller of them wheels, though if I'm honest they look too scruffy for my liking with what looks like full on bubbling and flaking of the paint...shame!

Fitted the New Wheels last night -Well pleased, nassive improvement to the look of the car. Not a brilliant foto, but you get the idea.

S8302253.jpg

Really looks nice;)

Very nice indeed. They suit the car so much. Never thought they would look that good on a tourer.

Nice one Alan...I'm not jealous (much!) :D

They look great!

Just a quick update after a weekend with the new wheels on.

Looks - Huge Improvement, the car looks as it should look.
Ride Comfort - It has lost a bit of it's magic carpet ride feeling, the joins on concrete motorways are more noticeable, but in all honesty if I had never driven it with 16" wheels, I'd be happy, it is still good.
MPG - This is the worst bit, I regularly drive between home and Leeds, 90% motorway. On 16" wheels I could easily get 56mpg, I'm now down to about 52. Bit of a shame, because as someone who is used to the thrill of fast cars, the only thrill I looked forward to was watching that old mpg figure creeping up.

Oh well - I can live with it, it looks better :)

MPG - This is the worst bit, I regularly drive between home and Leeds, 90% motorway. On 16" wheels I could easily get 56mpg, I'm now down to about 52. Bit of a shame, because as someone who is used to the thrill of fast cars, the only thrill I looked forward to was watching that old mpg figure creeping up.
MPG shouldn't be affected. Check how far your odometer (mileage) readings are out (and your speedo as well). Bigger wheel means that the car is actually going further than the odometer "knows".

Best way to check is on a motorway. Phone posts are mostly 1 mile apart (not always). When I drive along, I can see that my odometer slowly creeps out of sync with the phone posts. You can also check your speedo, at 60mph it should take exactly 1 minute from a phone post to the next. My speedo has to read 63 mph to take exactly 1 minute.

I would expect that your speedo and odometer are now more precise, but with the 16" wheels it was all reading higher, so your MPG was not as good as you thought it was. If you still have them, try the test with the 16" wheels and compare results.

The gearing has increased by 0.79% thats all. But an increase in gearing also means the engine has to work a bit harder because of the higher gearing, so it will use more diesel. Also the wheel will be heavier, as will the tyres, so a reduction is to be expectrd. But the car looks good :)

Perhaps Natasha's car has massive wheels on it? We haven't thought of that have we.

The gearing has increased by 0.79% thats all. But an increase in gearing also means the engine has to work a bit harder because of the higher gearing, so it will use more diesel. Also the wheel will be heavier, as will the tyres, so a reduction is to be expectrd

Perhaps Natasha's car has massive wheels on it? We haven't thought of that have we.
Yeah I've mentioned it in the "Natasha" thread in various ways.

"the engine has to work a bit harder because of the higher gearing, so it will use more diesel" :lol: :lol: I think you're trying to imply that the BSFC point has moved, but the actual BSFC of an engine (especially a diesel) is not that narrow.

"Also the wheel will be heavier, as will the tyres, so a reduction is to be expectrd" ... :lol: and Santa is too fat to get down chimneys.

It's not gearing, it's percent change in circumference. Even with lower profile tyres, I bet your overall diameter has changed. Measure the overall diameter (from outer tyre edge to outer tyre edge precisely across the centre) of the 16" and 18". I bet there's as much as a 5% difference, which would transfer to a 5% change in odometer readings, which would transfer to a 5% change in MPG calculation.

I've had this discussion with so many people on so many forums, and people just do not accept that their MPG calculations are not real, because their odometers are giving incorrect information. This is why there is the "10% + 2" rule usually allowed in speeding.

Nothing on the car has changed apart from the wheels and tyres. I do this journey regularly, and 56mpg is normal. This time it has dropped, so the wheels have had an advers effect.

Nothing on the car has changed apart from the wheels and tyres. I do this journey regularly, and 56mpg is normal. This time it has dropped, so the wheels have had an advers effect.
I thought so ....you ARE Natasha :lol:

Right, I've checked it for you. I ***ume that on the 16" you had 215 60 16 and on the 18" you now have 235 45 18

If you go here and enter that information then you'll see that there is a difference in road speed, though not by much (but please check that my ***umption of tyre sizes is correct and fess up if its different).

So what else could it be .... Feng Shui, Ectoplasm ? No, it's a change in rolling resistance that's caused it, the tyres that you now have, have a higher rolling resistance than the tryes that you did have. Nothing to do with wheel size or wheel weight, or Santa, or Feng Shui :lol:

Different tyres have diffeent rolling resistance, and that is true within brand for the same tyre size. Hence the term "energy" tyres, which cost more, but have lower rolling resistance, and hence give better mpg.

errrr - well you are just agreeing with exactly what I stated. I've already said that the difference is .79%, that's a slight change on the gearing, so the engine does have to work 'slightly' harder.
The tyres are wider, so drag is increased = more fuel being used.
Wider tyres will increase the rolling resistance = more fuel being used.
Weight of larger tyres is increased = more fuel being used.

So as I stated in my original post, the mpg has decreased, I wasnt asking for an explanation to this 'mysterious phenomemen', simply stating that the bigger wheels and tyres have adversely affected the mpg. And just offering up a bit of new Information and knowledge for other owners :).

IMO, after only one weekend of use, any MPG calculations would be too spurious to draw any meaningful conclusions upon either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.