What's new

Headlight Bulbs

Grayedout

Members
Reaction score
Does anybody else's Accord go through headlight bulbs like they are going out of fashion? Mine seem to blow every few months and tonight it managed to blow both bulbs at the same time. They blew so hard that it actually smashed the glass at the end of one of the bulbs.

My prefacelift has the standard halogen projector lights and i had both fail on me within a month of buying car.Stuck a pair of top quality night breakers in and 2 years on they still going strong.
Most important with headlight bulbs is making sure they are spotless and have no contaminents on the glass...the slightest bit of oil/grease will guarentee your bulbs a short life.I know most of us know this but it easy to soil bulbs when fitting,not just from finger marks but from contacting bulb housing or such on install,its easily done!
Other than that crap bulbs or some sort of power surge would also cause premature failure.

Totally agree, buy better quality and don't touch with your bare mitts. The grease from your hands will contaminate the bulb glass and as halogens run extremely hot carbonizes on the glass so they go pop.

Both bulbs blowing at the same time feels like more than a coincidence but try the above first.

Last edited:
Tried many different quality of bulbs and always wear gloves when fitting but still going! Do ‘heavy duty’ bulbs exist?

Mine kept blowing while I was still on halogen, nightbreakers, xtremevisions, regular bosch and phillips, nothing made any difference.
Rewiring the main beams with power straight from battery through a relay with stock wiring as relay trigger helped with longevity, i don't remember the wire gauge but it was thicker than stock.

Same thing with xenon. It seems less finicky because the igniter and ballast isolates it from the poor stock wiring, or that's what my head tells me anyway

Check your alternator, bulbs can blow quick if your alternator is faulty. Stick a mutlimeter accross the battery terminals and ensure its a good steady 14v without any spikes or fluctuations of the voltage.

Double check your earths aswell and ensure they are clean and has good continuity.

I use Osram ultra life bulbs and they last well over 2 years.

As mentioned above keep greasy hands away from the bulbs lens when installing.

20201105_202243_compress98.jpg
I have LED side a halo upgrade but headlights/main beam still halogen.Ive not had much success with them on previous cars..either poor light output,flicker or just didnt work.Since i restored my lenses im more than happy with the colour temperature and brightness so dont think ill bother upgrading those.

I have these in my mondeo.Very bright and lasted 18 months so far..great bulbs.

I had halogens blowing like popcorn on my 7th gen, switched to HID and had no problems at all. When HIDs became MOT fail, I did LED, also no problems and good light output (not as good as HID, but better than halogen)

Check your alternator, bulbs can blow quick if your alternator is faulty. Stick a mutlimeter accross the battery terminals and ensure its a good steady 14v without any spikes or fluctuations of the voltage.

Double check your earths aswell and ensure they are clean and has good continuity.

As mentioned above keep greasy hands away from the bulbs lens when installing.

Chnaged the alternator earlier this year and the problem has been the same with the old and new.

Do you have details on which ones you bought? I know the physical size can be different and the hole in the headlight is quite tight so want to be sure I get some that will fit.
Can't remember exactly, I got mine from fleabay and that was a few years back before I sold my mk7, just look for the highest lumens you can find. The current ones are all with small heatsinks. I also managed to fit them on my mk8, no issues there as I got the headlights off first so plenty of space to work

surely anything attempting to replicate the filament placement in a h1 bulb should just drop in?

https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto-2-stroke-2stroke-h1-led-bulbs?quantity=1 for example
I know the price is steep lol, ebay has similar "patterns"

They will just drop in trouble is the heatsink arrangement at the back which would prevent you putting the rear cap on housing leading to condensation! Not sure how you get around that..maybe the right bulb has designed the heatsink with this in mind.
I reckon theyd work just fine in the petrol mk7 as i have switched all other bulbs on my car inside n out to LED (except these and MB) without any errors.I have had some burn out due to crap quality off ebay but they always work on install

sorry, I thought you all meant inside the projector bowl
cutting the cap open with a hole saw and adding a smaller rubber/plastic cap to it could work

sorry, I thought you all meant inside the projector bowl
cutting the cap open with a hole saw and adding a smaller rubber/plastic cap to it could work
Improvisation often the way forward with upgrades.I wasn't saying they wouldn't fit inside housing just some bulbs i have seen out there are big and wouldn't look like they would fit?

I had halogens blowing like popcorn on my 7th gen, switched to HID and had no problems at all. When HIDs became MOT fail, I did LED, also no problems and good light output (not as good as HID, but better than halogen)
quick question, when did they become fail?
I thought it was alright for MOT long as you've projector lamps... that's why I installed HIDs in my 7th Gen 03...
I mean our 7th Gen 07 already has factory HIDs in projector lamps.

I do like the look of this HID upgrade.As said i have standard pre facelift halogens and although adequate imo will these give me a "noticable" increase in light output? Seem simple to install too? How much more light will these 6000k kick out for example?

@Grayedout , I installed these:

think I got 6000k ones, and they look beautiful

I can't see anything in any of those images that looks like a H1 bulb !

I do like the look of this HID upgrade.As said i have standard pre facelift halogens and although adequate imo will these give me a "noticable" increase in light output? Seem simple to install too? How much more light will these 6000k kick out for example?
light output wise, its really good, I mean I've been spending loads on trying different halogens from Philips to Osram, like night breakers or diamond visions... none of em really gave me much of a satisfaction as these ones that I installed a few months ago..
I mean, the light is as good and white as those brand new cars you see... I mean almost as good as my wifes 07 accord, that has factory fitted HIDs.

Overall, very impressed and satisfied with these

I can't see anything in any of those images that looks like a H1 bulb !
yeah, they actually come in a plastic cover to protect the HID, but they're in fact H1 type inside the plastic cover..

installation wise, not too bad at all to be honest, and I didn't have to take the headlight cluster out... and got away without any drilling/making holes, as the whole setup nicely fitted inside the headlight cluster...
found a diy somewhere here I think..

found it:

That guys funny...great guide :) Ok i will be ordering these,nothing to lose.At the very least they will be as bright/white as my halogen and according to listing last a long time.