What's new

Help - 2.4 6MT Drivers

jayok

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
CRV / S2000
I was wonder can you help?

I'm been thinking about a post by Astra02 recently around the 2nd gear crunch and the play in the gear linkage. I occasionally get the grind and I was wondering is it just stretched gear linkage or worn bushes. I don't get the pleasure of working on other 2.4 manuals it's either diesel or autos. So I can't compare.

I've made a video and uploaded of the amount of free play in the gear stick in each gear (bar reverse). Anyhow, could you compare this with your own free-play? I know it's difficult across the internet to see the amount of play, but in the video I have this much play before I feel resistance. In other words, when in neutral, I have that much play before I feel the spring force.

thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoPSB8XtRL4

Hi, I get a bit of free play in mine as well but no crunch when changing to 2nd.

Well I don't get the crunch every change, just maybe 1 in 10/15. Does it look like you have the same amount of free play as above?

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I'll check the linkage and bushings. It doesn't feel right as it is

So.... I took some time to examine this and all the gear linkage cables are intact and within specification. However, when I checked for play between the rubber bushings the holder on top of the gearbox (the area circled in blue), it just felt a little too loose. So, I just up a small circular piece of plastic from a 2 litre milk carton put it between the bush and holder and whoa, massive difference!! :)

Now, I've only done the linkage that controls the up/down movement of the gearshift and it seems looser than left-right movement and then tested, but I ran out of time as I had to leave it. I'll be doing the other linkage next.

I'd imagine it's just normal wear and tear with the bushes and cables stretching over time, I could order some new linkage cables, but at €300 vs cutting a milk carton up, I'm gonna stick with the milk carton route B)

gearselector_zpse2c888a5.jpg