What's new

help needed... do i do a Xenon conversion ?

TheHole

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Honda 2.2 i -ctdi
Well chaps....

I have been thinking for a while - ages infact that i would like to do a headlight upgrade to a facelift set of lights.
I have come across someone selling both (xenon from a 2.4 exec) headlights in great condition for £270 including ballasts and ds2 bulbs from an 07 car.

Am i being mental and should i just save £200 and put some 55w HID's in my current ones instead ?

I cant get over the fact how i miss the S2000 Xenons and just how good they where and the cut off / light distribution being so amazing.

Would some one with a 2.4 exec (with xenons) please take a picture f the beam cut off up against a wall for me ?
Im trying to see if the projector is of a different design as the current H1 projector's light output looks like this:
\_____\_____

Whilst my S2000 had a cut off like:
------____------_____

which meant the headlight gave a much cleaner formed beam.

Sorry for the rambles.. now lets hear your thoughts.

Go for it Adam you cant beat stock IMO

NO DON'T DO IT. I am going to go down stairs now and take a picture of my cut off to convince you otherwise. Its a total waste of money imo.

Now i have just gone down and taken these in my pyjamas so if you go and throw your money away and buy those lights i will kill you. Unless you are desperate for the slight design change on the facelift of course.

My camera phone is not the best and picks up a lot of glare but you should get the idea.

Photo0432.jpg

Photo0425.jpg

The cut off you mention is perfectly normal and is doing what the projectors are supposed to do. Here is an illustration to show you.

57764d1181626925-hid-glare-removal-mod-will-affect-lighting-true_hid_no_glare___even_beam_spread_00.jpg

These photos were taken from about 4 foot (second pic) and 10 foot away from the wall in a lit underground car park. If it was pitch black i am sure it would look as fancy as the above image.

Neil...

going down in your PJ's just to take a picture for me :D... im starting to think im not the only one who is uttely bonker on this forum :p

your left light looks brighter for some reason..
Thanks for the pics though Its so tempting to get the Xenons though... means a proper OEM xenon instead of a cheap AM part from china.
but as you say... i could save myself £200 ish here ... i hate making descisions. :huh:

Neil...

going down in your PJ's just to take a picture for me :D... im starting to think im not the only one who is uttely bonker on this forum :p

your left light looks brighter for some reason..
Thanks for the pics though Its so tempting to get the Xenons though... means a proper OEM xenon instead of a cheap AM part from china.
but as you say... i could save myself £200 ish here ... i hate making descisions. :huh:

Just the angle of the car mate. ;)

Neil, you got factory HID's in your 2.0?

Adam, save the dosh - although I LOVE the factory HID's and DRL's in my beemer (although I paid the best part of £900 towards it as an option!!

Neil, you got factory HID's in your 2.0?

Adam, save the dosh - although I LOVE the factory HID's and DRL's in my beemer (although I paid the best part of £900 towards it as an option!!

No mate, Mine is a HID kit.

LOL then I think Adam just got his own back (Following the 2.4 noise thread). He already has a HID kit.

LOL then I think Adam just got his own back (Following the 2.4 noise thread). He already has a HID kit.

lol. at least he knows what a 55watt kit looks like up against a wall now. and to think I went out in my pajamas to take those photos. :(

I think I will read the opening post properly next time.

I already have a 35w hid kit in my car. but im wondering if projector design is identical to what i already have or not.

on Honda S2000 Xenons, there is a visible 'step' like this:
DSC09206_small.jpg

Im wondering if the 2.4 exec light are identical to this , or if they share the same light pattern as our humble H1 projectors.

Adam, they won't work on your car. completely different harness... CJ tried to do this a while back and gave up for that reason, 2.4 auto Accords have auto self levelling within the wiring harness... just stick to 4300k kit! :)

as per your question we had a 2.4 auto Accord before the diesel and it was not like the s2000 one, it was 100% straight in a line...

Adam, they won't work on your car. completely different harness... CJ tried to do this a while back and gave up for that reason, 2.4 auto Accords have auto self levelling within the wiring harness... just stick to 4300k kit! :)

Hmm harnesses changes would not bother me as i design harnesses for spacecraft ;)
I wonder if i can remove the metal 'sheild' in the projector and weld a bit on to get rid of the 'flick'

Could you not remove the auto level adjust and replace them with the manual adjust off your current headlights, and effectively have a Xenon conversion the same as you would an after market HID conversion?

What components are involved in the auto level adjust as I was considering trying to change my car to Xenons as well instead of trying to tidy up the butchered HID conversion by it's previous owner.

Personally i would stick a 55watt HID kit in your original lights and spend the rest on beer and girls.

It would go a little like this.

beer-collection.jpg

731FilmingBubbles.jpg

3423159851_582ed02ac0.jpg

caught-shagging-on-the-road.jpg

drunk-guy.jpeg

Personally i would stick a 55watt HID kit in your original lights and spend the rest on beer and girls.

It would go a little like this........

3423159851_582ed02ac0.jpg

I WISH!

Im have a family now though and am getting married next year! gone are the days of being able to party like that!

Bagsie the one on the left.

And maybe the one on the right too...

AFAIk if you have xenons you are supposed to have auto headlight levellers. I read somewhere recently that the MOT rules are changing soon and they will now check if you have auto levellers. Therefore you might end up paying a fortune to convert and then having grief every year at MOT time.

AFAIk if you have xenons you are supposed to have auto headlight levellers. I read somewhere recently that the MOT rules are changing soon and they will now check if you have auto levellers. Therefore you might end up paying a fortune to convert and then having grief every year at MOT time.

I think you will find that that is only for cars that had them installed from factory, and they must work.

if you have headlight washers and they dont work.. thats a fail or if you have self leveling and they dont work.. thats a fail.;)

This conversation has come up before and as was pointed out to me this MOT change also applies to after market HID and Xenon conversions too.