What's new

HELP! Whining noise/AUX Belt/Pulley/Air Con...

mbaccord

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 Accord 2.2 diesel.
2/3 weeks ago, i noticed a loud whining squelling noise under the bonnet. When i popped the bonnet open, it was clearly coming from the belt area tht was spinning.

I did contact the expert (F4had), as a lot of you must be aware of that name. When explained him the issue, he said to have the AUX belt re-routed with the shorter one.

Just to add, i recently had air con re-gas done on the car but no cold air came out of the vents so looks like the air con compressor might be gone (not had air con for almost 3 years now).

My problem is, garages or mechanincs around me do not even want to touch anything under the bonnet for this car. So not even sure if anyone would have a clue when i mention something about shorter aux belt. can anyone recomment a place near or around West Midlands area please? or had similar issue?

any help is appreciated.

Many thanks!!!!!

Sorry can't recommend anybody but it's not a difficult job to remove the extra tensioner and can soon provide the length of belt you need to replace it.

I've also had air con problems and have actually currently removed the compressor from the car and fitted an even shorter belt.

My previous owner had run the air con without gas and oil in the compressor for many years and so damaged the seal and so after a re-gas it just leaks and loses it all again after a day or so. You may have the same problem.

Grayedout- thanks a lot for ur response mate.

I’ve not been able to come online and for some reason I didn’t get notification when u replied too.

Usually get a lot of responses from this site but everyone must be busy.

Thanks for your input mate. Unfortunately I’ve never really done any DIY work on any of my cars so certainly won’t feel comfortable doing such job.

I showed it to this mechanic today and he wants to change the pulley after doing his inspection.

Dunno what I’m gonna do. Might let him try what he thinks is the problem.

Thanks once again.

Have a look through here regarding the top pulley and you will see it is perfectly safe to remove. No point in replacing it as this will just re-produce the same problem.

Unfortunately the noise may be coming from the alternator which is what gets worn due to the extra pulley.

Yeah I heard about that.
Mechanic did check the alternator , intact on his initial inspection he pointed out alternator straight away. But after another 5-6 min thorough check. He goes actually no it’s the middle pulley as it was slightly moving from side to side.
Don’t think any mechinac or garage near me would know how to reroute the aux belt as advised in forum and by Fahad to get rid of the actual problem. I’ll be going to this garage in an hour and will talk to them before they do anything so let’s see what they come back with.

Thank u once again

Keep me updated with this mate, I'm having a similar issue but not sure mines as far gone as yours. Needs the adjustment but I'd never know how to do it

Update guys:

According to the expert mechanic , he said it’s the water pump ,the tensioner and the pulley.

So they gonna basically change the above including the belt itself.
So car is there and should get it back tonight.

So will find out I suppose.

Grayedout- I’m sure u r right mate. I tried explaining this stuff to the mechanic what I learnt from the forum etc
But they wanna go by their own judgment since they gonna Carry out the Work and then held responsible for it which is understandable I suppose.

Anyways , so they changed the water pump and one of the pulleys but not the actual belt cuz they said they thoroughly checked the belt and it seems absolutely fine (I still thing they should have changed it anyway) but oh well...

On the initial start up I did hear the noise for like 2 seconds but then nothing.... but will wait and c tomorrow or day after when the car runs for longer periods and will report back.

Thanks guys