What's new

s-preston87

Members
Reaction score
Car
7th Gen- Sport
Hi peeps,

So recently I have noticed three things:

1) When driving either cold start, warm or cold engine the car seems to hesitate. When i get the biting point and set off it sounds like the car is on the verge of stalling but not quite, and just as it does there is a slight vibration and metallic clatter from under the car. The main concern with this is the close to stalling feeling... cant seem to work this out.

2) First start of the day I usually let the car run for a few minutes before setting off for work, however the car seems to be very jerky when driving. example. I will accelerate slowly from first and then change into second but if i accelerate and then ease off the gas it will then jerk quite a bit. Its hesitating and then adjusts as the revs go down.
(The revs are round 1300rpm when cold starting)

3) After the car has warmed up thoroughly after a good drive if i stop the car, regardless in neutral or in gear the car starts to idle a little low and rough - roughly 650rpm and the car seems to shaking, the front passenger seat seems to be shaking and it can be heard from inside and outside the car. .
The strange thing is that if i put the fog lights on then the revs increase a little the roughness levels out and becomes steady and smooth again.

A major service will be done in a few weeks inc all fluids (except transmission fluid)
Valve adjustments will done in a couple of days by GrinSpeed (been there a few times)
the Idle Control Valve was adjusted a few months ago
The throttle body has been cleaned - was a sticking a little prior to cleaning with TB cleaner and a rag
LUK clutch kit installed 4 months ago - Redline MTL90 oil - no issues after installation.
Accord sport 2.0L - 2005 pre facelift - 107k miles - no mods apart LED 501 bulbs and head unit

Any advise would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advanced :)

This sounds quite a bit like the classic APP sensor problem (Accelerator Pedal Position sensor) with is used on the DBW (Drive By Wire) system. However, IIRC DBW is not on the pre-facelift 2.0 engine.

But is there a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on the throttle body ?

What I'd suggest is checking for codes, see this thread --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/23543-obd2-scs-absvsa/

Ive just had a look under the bonnet and im sure there is a throttle position sensor attached/ around the throttle body area.

I will have a gander and see if i can diagnose this.

Just out of curriosity could a faulty air sensor cause issues such as this as well?

There are currently no EML on.

Yep it could also be an issue with air sensor.

I think that the EML only comes on when there is a serious fault, but you can get DTC's that won't bring on the EML.

Hello,

Apologies for the very late reply, its been a very busy few months.
So after some time i have managed to get the car serviced, oil, filter, sparkies, both air filters, coolant and a new battery.
This seems to have smoothed off the jerky driving as two of the sparkplugs were loose. This would explain the crap MPG and lag as well.
I will investigate the air sensor as its not 100% fixed, will take it to car doctor and see if they can give some readings.

thanks for all your help :)

Just an update. The car seems to be low idling a little and the head shield for the catalyst converter shakes around like mad.

I will try and purchase a new/ used complete heat shield from somewhere.

Also i will be cleaning the MAF woth contact cleaner as ive heard this sometimes helps. Will post an update soon