What's new

HFT repair

revnik

Members
Reaction score
Car
ictdi estate ex
Ok bare with me - Ive had problems with a parasitic draw on the battery and after reading various posts about this problem, I came to the conclusion it must be the HFT module however I have not as yet confirmed or unconfirmed this. What I did know for sure was the hft had never worked since buying the car 5 months ago !

Anyway looking on Lings website and discovering they wanted £1780 + VAT for a HFT module I started looking on ebay but they wanted £225 for a second hand one with no guarantee to how long that unit would last, I thought there must be a cheaper option. I came across this site after putting into google the IC number stamped on the back of the HFT unit.

http://tl.acurazine....=792642&page=13

which led me to this link- http://api.viglink.c...138218462282311

So this was what I did last night. I Reinstalled the unit this morning and hey presto HFT system now fully functional.

Don't know as yet if this has cured battery drain problem I will keep my eye on it and do a multimeter drain check when I get the chance to. I will report back if any news.

very well, your luck it's working but if this is the solution i will let everybody know that a re-ball can be done at mobile phone repairs centers for your circuit boards...it's more safe then the oven...

Indeed it is. You've effectively reflowed the PCB's solder, warming up the solder enough for it to re-bond across any hairline fractures or dried out connections. This is something we do to repair old Arcade Machine Circuit boards. However, a hot air gun or a powerful magnifying glass, a fine tipped soldering iron and lots of patience are alternate methods. I love this kind of home-brew electrical repairs. I've not yet plucked up the courage to do it myself mind. I'd probably just bake my PCB :lol: .

Hi Guys,

Thought I would share my success using the method stated above.

I have had battery drain issues which I traced to the HFT unit. My unit hasn't worked for nearly a year. I got it working for a few weeks by unplugging it and putting it back in. I stuck my HFT unit in the oven today and its working again. I'll try to post updates on how long this fix remains a 'fix'. If your HFT isn't working and you've tried everything else you might as well give this a go.

I did this oven trick too a few years ago when I had an intermittent bluetooth fault. It worked for me. I put mine in a hot fan oven for a few seconds, with a test piece of coiled solder to see when it melted - then I knew it was time to take it out of the oven. I put some tinfoil over the green plastic connector to stop it melting from the heat of the oven element above. If your bluetooth doesn't work, you have nothing to lose.

The circuitry is TINY so good luck to anyone who has the skill and time to check each joint - and it's double sided boards.

Honda agreed that £1.7k was a bit steep so they offered £500 - better than nothing but what's the point in paying that much.

May have to try this as mine isn't working at all.
Done same trick with my ps3 a few years ago worked a treat.