What's new

Hi im New to the site i have 07 plate 2litre vtec s just wonder my car seems bit dead down on power when vtec cuts in and is there any issue's on k20

Vtec

Reaction score
Car
Honda accord 2litre
My car Honda accord vtec 2l s feels bit down on power k20 engine feels bit dead for 155bhp the car feels bit gutless any ideas and is any issues regards the accord kind regards T.wall

Check your oil level, but other than that, the k20z is a solid motor. Is your car standard or any mods done?

Vtec solenoid mesh filter/debris trap may be clogged without throwing a code, had a CR-V at work with similar symptoms

Hi I have the same car and mines the same, I think that's just the way the car is.

From what I've read the k20a6 isn't a performance based engine like the K24 (2.4) its set up more for efficiency than for power/performance

If i'm honest The 2.0 just doesn't quite know what it wants to be, It's gutless unfortunately at anything below 4k rpm especially under load. The power is there but the engine has to be driven hard to get to it, and drinks fuel as a result. I cant actually tell when the Vtec kicks in on mine I believe its around 6k revs which is pretty much pointless.

High speed refinement isn't all that great either, It cruises beautifully at 40 - 60mph but the lack of a 6th gear lets it down at higher speeds. The engine ticks over at 3,000rpm at 70 so gets loud in the cabin at about 75 and engine sounds like its screaming at 80.

There are a couple of fixes though if you're willing to throw a bit of cash at it.

1. An engine remap - The K20A6 can be remapped, from what I've read here it gives the car a bit more low down torque and brings Vtec down from 6k to 4k rpm. Search the forums here you'll find more info on it.

2, Soundproofing - These cars don't come well soundproofed as standard. Some good quality soundproofing underneath the bonnet, under the driver and passenger footwells, in the boot, along with an acoustic engine blanket makes a big difference to refinement and ride quality at cruising speeds. I had mine done professionally and would highly recommend considering it (not a good idea if you just want performance though as soundproofing adds weight.)

- These cars love fresh oil so check yours and change it if needed.
- I'd try adding some Redex injector cleaner to the tank after you fill up. It might not make a huge difference but its worth a shot.
- Another thing to consider is that the car is nearly 15 years old, chances are it will have lost a few horses...

Other than that you need to be looking at the 2.4 if you want a more power. I drove a 2.4 last week it's much better, and fuel economy is about the same as it doesn't need to be pushed at all to build speed. It was my first choice when I decided on an Accord but clean, low mileage face lift (06 - 08) examples are quite a rare find these days.

It's a good car overall. What it lacks in performance it probably makes up for in it's reliability & running costs. Just requires a slight change in driving style especially if you're used to driving turbocharged cars,

20210714_185400.png

Last edited: