What's new

High speed judder/vibration

stellamon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i-DTEC
Hi All,

I'm new to the site so hoping somebody can help.

I bought an Accord 2.2 i-dtec ES GT 2010 plate with 150000 on the clock.

Just been to Portugal and back, 3500 miles total, all good apart from a judder/vibration at the front end when going over 65mph.

If Anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate it?

Cheers Nick

Mr Honda

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Get a wheel balance and alignment done, if it persists afterwards, it could be driveshaft related.

apintofmild

Members
Reaction score
Car
Golf GTD
Mr Honda said:
Get a wheel balance and alignment done, if it persists afterwards, it could be driveshaft related.
What he said.
I had a pronounced vibration at about 50mph that vanished at higher and lower speeds. Issue was uneven tyre wear caused by poor alignment.
I didn't spot it, but when the tyre guy pointed it out it was pretty obvious. After it was set up (and two new tyres :blink: ) problem solved.
I'd get this checked before diving in at the expensive end...

stellamon

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i-DTEC
Thank you both very much for the feedback, I will get it sorted and fingers crossed it will just be a wheel/tyre problem :)

hale-pope

Members
Reaction score
Car
10 i-dtec tourer ex
How did you get on? I have a vibration at around 60 but m it goes away at higher speeds and I have had my tracking and balancing done and my tyres are all fine. I changed one propshaft bush as the steering was cranky at stop and start speeds and whilst the clanking stopped I still have the vibration. Any other ideas anyone?

DazTheMe

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i Dtec
I'm guessing it's most commonly the inside CV joint on the nearside driveshaft. I have the exact same problem for quite a while.

It's on the list next do to but just had MOT, wheel bearing, service, 2 tyres.

Unsure weather to replace with a shaftec or J & R one. Anyone who's done this before what part did you use?

I'll be sure to post if it fixes the judder issue when it's done though.

DazTheMe

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i Dtec
Instead of making a new drive shaft related thread, I thought I'd just bump this one. Looking at different driveshaft options...Does the 2.2 150bhp share the same part as the 180bhp type S? As I've only found a few listed for a CU3 150bhp but seperate ones listed for the CU3 180bhp type S.

Would the type S one fit the other 8th gen diesels? https://www.euspares.co.uk/parts/japanparts/13478072

*Edit - Lings parts numbers for the type S and the ES-GT are identical. So I'm hoping that'd indicate they share driveshafts unless someone whos done this job before knows otherwise.

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
I haven’t done this job but can’t see any reason why they would be different.

julekasMobilek

Members
Reaction score
Car
honda accord
I think they should be different because type is engine is more powerfull than stock 2,2 i-dtec. It should fit, because gearboxes type s and stock diesels are identical. So in conclusion type s driveshaft should be stronger and last longer :)

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
As per above part numbers are identical. They’re not different.

Ashz

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.4 accord
Hi guys, don't want to hijack the thread but rather than start a new thread wanted to ask do the 8th gen petrols suffer with driveshaft issues?

DazTheMe

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2i Dtec
Ashzz said:
Hi guys, don't want to hijack the thread but rather than start a new thread wanted to ask do the 8th gen petrols suffer with driveshaft issues?
Maybe eventually, I would of thought it'd wear a lot slower though as the diesel puts alot more torque through the driveshaft than the petrol.

hale-pope

Members
Reaction score
Car
10 i-dtec tourer ex
I had vibrations but only at 55-65mph. I changed engine mounts and dirvieshaft bushes. An expensive thing to do but this solved the problem. My idtec 2009 is on 187k so i cannot complain......but obviously do!