What's new

Honda Satnav fixed price repairs

F6HAD

Affiliate / Co-Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Car
2009 Accord IDTEC
Just thought I would share this as I know its a common problem for many of our members.

There is a decent guy, qualified electrician who offers fixed price satnav repairs for the Honda (and a number of other makes) @ £70+£10 delivery.

The repair only covers disc read errors. Other repairs are extra.

He doesn't simply clean the lens but actually replaces components, including the magnifier. The price also includes a unit service.

He has no website but runs a shop in North London (Barnett area)

Call Sammy on 07453 288830 and tell him Fahad referred you from the Accord forum.

I'm using him on the satnav unit from my wife's FRV.

Cheers

Fahad

Nice Fady,must be good decision for members

Just to update this thread, I've had the unit back a few days now and all seems well.. It's better than ever really...

Mine's throwing up errors much more often now :(

Is the price of £5,720 really correct for a new unit?!

I ***ume if sending for repair I would have to somehow remove the device? If I attempt this I guarantee I will break something.

It's easy to remove mate

Disc read errors had increased to the point where the satnav was unusable and I ***umed the lens was the problem. Alpine/Dtronix quoted £220 plus the cost of parts. Sami quoted me £150. The lens turned out to be ok when Sami checked it, so he replaced the motherboard and returned the unit to me. That didn't solve the problem, so he then replaced the whole mechanism and the satnav has been working fine for the last few weeks. Altogether the cost was around £180, including three lots of postage. Sami seemed very straightforward, replied to texts promptly and carried out the work quickly. He gets a recommendation from me.

I’ve actually since stopped using him. Ended up paying him 3 times for effectively the same job.

Instead I bought a brand new complete mechanism from Ali Express for less than £90 delivered. Took 10 mins to fit and has worked flawlessly since.

I found Sami ok to deal with at first but his attitude changed when it became clear that his fixes weren’t working on my Alpine unit.

I can’t say I stand behind my initital recommendation anymore. I would urge you to just buy a replacement internal cartridge and replace it yourself, far easier and a better outcome.

"I would urge you to just buy a replacement internal cartridge and replace it yourself, far easier and a better outcome. "

Well that's what Sami did in the end, so at the price you found replacing the mechanism yourself makes sense.

I remember now that I looked at buying a second-hand unit on eBay, but couldn't be sure it wouldn't have the same problem as mine. I also looked at replacement mechanisms on Aliexpress, but I was put off by the delivery time (20-27 days). How long did you have to wait?

Mine arrived in about a week. Very easy job to do diy, far simpler than trying to clean dust off the laser. Just 4 screws to unbolt the cartridge and a couple of small ribbon cables to disconnect. The unit has worked flawlessly since