What's new

How much blow out your oil filler?

AndyB1976

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 F18B2 CG8
Hello guys

You might have previously read I am having some random rough engine issues and just waiting on couplers for the leakdown test. Anyway, started the car yesterday and whilst cold there was quite a bit of puffing out the oil filler hole. its not something I've done previously so was a but unsure? Clean air, not smoke.

Now, reading online as you do it appears some 'blowby' can be expected, presumably more on a cold engine with thermal expansion decreasing the tolerances of a warm engine. The PCV is there to suck gasses out, but I think I might have too much at 90000miles. The car idles perfectly well, not rough or lumpy.

So, have you guys ran your engine with the cap off? What's it like? Oil shouldn't go splashing everywhere if the cap is only off for a minute or so (well maybe unless you rev it).

I don't quite get what you're asking here, I thought it was fairly normal to get some air when there is no oil cap on? I can go check and see if my car does that though I can't tell you if that is normal or not...

Yeah...its as simply as that. Sorry my opener was a bit of a ramble lol.

Do you have or can you feel an air push out the oil filler hole? I've never given it any thought, I presumed it would be neither pressure or vacuum but seems like there should be. The question then is, how much is too much?

I will try and compare a cold engine to a warm engine. As part of the leakdown test you need to have a warm engine, obviously as the engine heats and metal expands there needs to be clearances for this to take places else it would seize, therefore you could expect slighltly different results on each engine status.

Well while the engine is warmed up, it blows a fair bit for me and makes very low pitch note (as if there was a large hole in an exhaust system). I always ***umed this was normal myself but I wouldn't know for sure.

Thanks Chris, yes that's an accurate description of mine. My uncle was over today and his Santa Fe does much the same thing.

The problem I am having is random hesitation issues so I have started looking at things I've never bothered with before, hence the surprise at running an engine with a cap off. When I do the leakdown test I will be looking for air (but not hoping to find any lol) escaping from a cylinder whilst at TDC.

Just waiting on a break in the weather so I can get on with the leakdown and EGR cleaning, if it ever stops raining..............

There's alot of niggles with mine, got to figure out what some of the squeeks are and an occasional knock (probably a ball joint or bush). Only thing I got round to fixing is a *** ligghter socket lol.

Il leave them for a service/MOT which will be in the next couple of months and then look into it then one by one. Keep us posted on your ventures if you can, I look forward to seeing your threads and alot of the guides you posted have helped me out aswell as many others i'm sure. :)

Nice one ;-)

I will try and get the DropLink guide written up, the summary vid is on the other thread somewhere lol. My first squeaks and clunks came from my front droplinks being past it so that might be a source of yours. I've got the ARB bushes photos done too, I done them at the same time as the droplinks, well I actually removed the rear AntiRollBar entirely and refurbed it with some hammerite so will include that aswell.

I'll be tackling the EGR, and Distributor Cap and the Leakdown. If I can rig some smoke up (whatever than means lol) I'll push smoke through the cylinders and it will be a visible leak test, rather than just a listening one which would be better photographically for a guide.

AndyB1976 said:
Nice one ;-)

I will try and get the DropLink guide written up, the summary vid is on the other thread somewhere lol. My first squeaks and clunks came from my front droplinks being past it so that might be a source of yours. I've got the ARB bushes photos done too, I done them at the same time as the droplinks, well I actually removed the rear AntiRollBar entirely and refurbed it with some hammerite so will include that aswell.

I'll be tackling the EGR, and Distributor Cap and the Leakdown. If I can rig some smoke up (whatever than means lol) I'll push smoke through the cylinders and it will be a visible leak test, rather than just a listening one which would be better photographically for a guide.
I seem to get a squeek when the car is moving at a certain speed and about 3rd / 4th gear, and another coming fro mthe engine when idling. I went around with a tin of GT85 in the engine bay on the moving bits but have yet to take it out for a proper drive to see if it worked. Sadly I don't live in an area that has a place to do serious work on my car but if a service picks up on any dodgy bushes and suchlike, it will be done then i'm sure.