What's new

I-CTDI crank position sensor replacement

ebod

Members
Reaction score
Car
I-CTDI SPUTNIK
Hi all,

Getting well cheesed off chasing the cause on a hot starting glitch on my 2004 Accord I-CTDI.

Having replaced the CAM sensor which made no difference, its now time to look at replacing the CRANK sensor.

I've researched the part and believe its 37500-RBD-E01 / Bosch 0 281 002 659. I will be sourcing one asap.
It appears to be located on the lower crank casing immediately behind the A/C compressor.

What I really need to know is ...whilst its only a 10mm head screw and a multiplug to disconnect, how much of the car has got to be stripped away to access this? From the pics I've seen, it scarily looks like the A/C compressor has got to be removed. Can anyone with oily black fingernails who's ventured around these regions give me a head's up on what's involved ???

Below are links of engine pics :-

bdepmc1459.jpg

Honda-Accord_iCTDi_European_Version_2004_800x600_wallpaper_1f.jpg

Honda-Accord_iCTDi_European_Version_2004_800x600_wallpaper_20.jpg

Never done it pal. However will be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm very interested in what your doing.

Hi all,

Getting well cheesed off chasing the cause on a hot starting glitch on my 2004 Accord I-CTDI.

Having replaced the CAM sensor which made no difference, its now time to look at replacing the CRANK sensor.

I've researched the part and believe its 37500-RBD-E01 / Bosch 0 281 002 659. I will be sourcing one asap.
It appears to be located on the lower crank casing immediately behind the A/C compressor.

What I really need to know is ...whilst its only a 10mm head screw and a multiplug to disconnect, how much of the car has got to be stripped away to access this? From the pics I've seen, it scarily looks like the A/C compressor has got to be removed. Can anyone with oily black fingernails who's ventured around these regions give me a head's up on what's involved ???
For what its worth, I did this on my 06 diesel, don't know if is different on an 04 model.
part number 28820-PWR-013 was the item I replaced & was sold as the crank pickup.
Strangley it was located at the clutch end of the engine, if I remember actually on the bellhousing(or whatever its called these days...) & low down under a casting web so it was not readily visible (I only found it by following the cable(!).
Easy job once found, but there was also a spacer washer between the sensor & mounting point.
I had to remove the batery, airbox(both top & bottom), & intake(?) pipe from the intercooler.

HI ebod
any luck with the replacement of the crankshaft sensor ?
I have the same problem with the crv 2.2l diesel which with weeks of searching the engine looks the same as the accord and the fr-v .
I was wondering if you were able to remove the ac compressor and the flange that the ac sits on without having to drain air con ??? any help would be great thanks

What’s the issue you’re having and how have you confirmed it’s your crank sensor at fault?

problem starting when engine is hot and computer read out showing crankshaft sensor error

Just replied to your PM. Issue is more likely a faulty fuel pressure relief valve, quite common on this engine and that’s the very symptom it will exhibit. Might also be a weak injector. Your diagnostic reader is triggering a crank error as it failed to start but it’s unlikely to be crank related error in my experience.

Just replied to your PM. Issue is more likely a faulty fuel pressure relief valve, quite common on this engine and that’s the very symptom it will exhibit. Might also be a weak injector. Your diagnostic reader is triggering a crank error as it failed to start but it’s unlikely to be crank related error in my experience.

Hi there!

Sorry to be a pain, but im also having this issue.

Bought a Honda Accord 2007 2.2 i-cdti 7 days ago, and ever since taking it home it's been having a bit of a rough startup. However, whilst driving its completely fine. I called the AA out today as when I started the engine up it threw up an engine management light ...which turns out to be a crankshaft sensor fault code.

Could this be the a faulty fuel pressure valve perhaps? Was wondering if I should delve down this route before looking for sensors etc.

Thanks!

Probably best to check with the original poster as to whether he solved it before going just on this thread.

For what its worth, I did this on my 06 diesel, don't know if is different on an 04 model.
part number 28820-PWR-013 was the item I replaced & was sold as the crank pickup.
Strangley it was located at the clutch end of the engine, if I remember actually on the bellhousing(or whatever its called these days...) & low down under a casting web so it was not readily visible (I only found it by following the cable(!).
Easy job once found, but there was also a spacer washer between the sensor & mounting point.
I had to remove the batery, airbox(both top & bottom), & intake(?) pipe from the intercooler.

it was a SPEED SENSOR u've changed - not the CRANK we'r on about)

Hi, Only just seen this as searching for the same answer about replacing the crank shaft position sensor and the only info I can find is on petrol cars, mine is a 2.2 Ctdi
eventually I bit the bullet and started to take it apart as I could just see it behind the a/c pump ( so I thought! ) I started by removing the under tray with car on a couple of ramps.
I then proceeded to disconnect the battery and then the alternator before removing the alternator. I then removed the a/c pump ( leaving pipes connected, and pull it back a bit )with a bit of difficulty. Expecting to see the sensor I was mistaken as I also had to remove the A/C pump mounting bracket which looked almost impossible. I then decided the only way I could see getting access the the bolts on the mounting plate was to remove the radiator which was quite straightforward and also did not interfere with the A/C REMOVE THE RADIATOR BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE! it makes removing everything easier and gives far more room to pull the a/c pump out of the way. I think if I had removed the radiator initially I could have taken off the alternator , ac pump, pump mounting bracket and the sensor in under an hour. once the a/c pump bracket has been removed you can see the sensor although direct vision is impaired but there is plenty of room to get the Allen key into the locating bolt. the sensor came out easy but the plastic wire clip holding the sensor cable to the block I did manage to break! I then found it easier to slide the plug out of the 2 forks holding it by squeezing the locating tags in using mole grips from under the car then easing it out from the top, this gave room to pull the sensor up through giving room to unplug the sensor from the loom. Although this whole procedure sounds daunting, it is not. but as said before, remove the radiator first, it makes the whole job easier.
Good luck and I hope this helps