What's new

Im totally ignorant .... mapping standard ECU

HONDALEO

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA
Forgive my ignorance, but is it possible that a standard factory fitted ECU can be re-mapped, so that it is no longer as per the factory settings.
Or to do such an operation, does a new chip need fitted somewhere, or a totally different ECU?
I don't intend doing any changes, but I'm just curious is this an option if required.
Could someone even maybe point me to a thread that goes through such basic options. Thanks

The basic answer to that question is yes, most ecu’s since 1997 have reflashable eeprom’s so they don’t need a new chip installing.

It depends on which Honda you have, but most are tunable.

Thanks for your reply. So the next question would be, is it possible to extract or view the current map in an ecu, and see how it differs from the standard map, if at all? And does such map editing automatically generate a new ID for the map, or could a map still have its standard name, but have totally different settings to a standard map? The reason I ask all this is because, if I consider buying a car which the owner states, "I think it has been mapped", is there a way to know if it really has been, and how easy is it to get back to the standad baseline map, and is there a database where standard maps can be retrieved to be reiinstalled? I am the type of person who likes to start with a clean page and develop things sequentially, rather than have no idea what I am dealing with. i.e. possibly some random map which is totally wrong and causing huge fuel consumption unnecessarily.

Suggest you join some ecu tuning forums and start learning, this isn’t a simple question to answer and every ecu is different, and requires different software and protocols.