What's new

In this Weather - VSA On or Off ?

Channel Hopper

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 7 Estate 2005
I saw the light flashing a couple of times this morning as I made my way into work (outside temperature between -3 /-4 C), but to be honest there was no perceived change in the cars stability, on or off. I do carry a lot of junk evenly distributed across all wheels so the tyres might just be gripping better than the empty Tourer.

So, let the management system do the job, or the old brain ?

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/md0404/MD0404O00183B.pdf

I was once stopped on an icy road, slowly sliding towards a give way and a busy main road. I just pressed hard on the brakes and the VSA worked like crazy to bring the car to a stop. Seriously. In these conditions is when it knows what it's doing.

VSA has nothing to do with braking.
I have it off on icy roads as it gives me confidence I’ll have power when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Does anyone know if there is documentation , even the theory behind VSA, from Honda (or elsewhere) on the pitfall potential of VSA when roads are icy ?

The handbook says words to the extent of between ABS and VSA as long as you're stamping hard on the brake (don't pump the brakes), it'll bring you to a stop and as it's a front wheel drive car with VSA, if you're understeering or wheel spinning, just point and squirt and let VSA do the rest.

I'm not worried about braking, having learned over a trip and a half to the moon.

VSA claims are stability is improved when wheels -might - lose traction under accelerating or cornering, but I noticed no pause in throttle in the snow this morning when pulling away, nor a change in engine response when cornering in the snow/ice when I tried ( and I did try on a couple of minor roads near my destination).

So, what does this box do, I replaced it as I got a warning on the dashboard last year but is it a real improvement to driver/machine or a device to allow the complete idiot to navigate their way to work under harsh conditions ?

Did I buy a duff box that fools the dashboard lights / Hondas engine management to think alls well ?

I have a very intermittent fault with the VSA where it pulses the brakes on one wheel while cornering so I presume the VSA applies the brakes to control skids rather than reduce the throttle.

I think there is a little confusion between VSA and ABS in some of the posts?

Some say there's a benefit in disabling the ABS in snow, as locking the wheels when braking can build up a bow-wave wedge of snow that acts like a wheel chock. I've no idea if that's really true, or whether this might even have a negative effect overall when driving, but a friend of mine had a late '80s Volvo that allowed the ABS to be disabled (and the manual suggested that this would help in snow and sand).

I ***ume that if we disable the VSA on our Hondas then the ABS keeps working.

Stoobsy said:
I think there is a little confusion between VSA and ABS in some of the posts?

Some say there's a benefit in disabling the ABS in snow, as locking the wheels when braking can build up a bow-wave wedge of snow that acts like a wheel chock. I've no idea if that's really true, or whether this might even have a negative effect overall when driving, but a friend of mine had a late '80s Volvo that allowed the ABS to be disabled (and the manual suggested that this would help in snow and sand).

I ***ume that if we disable the VSA on our Hondas then the ABS keeps working.
Yes.

I don't think the ABS is disabled on the Tourer (I cannot try since the snow has gone), just the stability part of the braking system.

Perhaps someone up north can let us know.