Inner driveshaft cv joint stuck tight

trolleyjack

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord D 2.2 Exec
​​
​Hi Guys

I have a leaking passenger side gearbox driveshaft seal, I can't get it to budge at all ,prybars ,wrecking bars of all sizes, any recommended techiques on an 04 diesel tourer?

The one purcase point on the sloping inboard rim of the gearbox casing I had used is starting to become pretty mauled and flat, I don't want to lose my rag and punch a great hole in the gearbox casing.I have spotted one of these:-

​http://www.toolpan.com/***ets/images/OTC7507-Large.jpg

that would fit on my slide hammer, has anyone used one, got one I could borrow, (subject to my expense of course) or know if there is an equivilent Honda tool that would do the same job.I called Snap on and they stopped doing their version of this adaptor 18 months ago.

I don't want to go down the dismantling the drive shaft cups etc if avoidable.

​Cheers

Trolleyjack

Just to check as you may already have done this....but have you tried rotating the driveshaft round a few degrees, prying again, rotating, prying ?

You don't want to be wellying it with a slide hammer or anything else...the problem isn't lack of welly....it's that the circlip isn't positioned in a way that it's willing to just pop out...when it is, it'll come out nice and easy.

Problem is, sometimes with a constant application of force, the circlip can be trying to ride up out of the groove, locking everything up.

Pushing the cup back toward the diff, then giving it a sharp whack can be a more effective way of separating the two.

I do agree about the positioning of the open end of the clip though.
I'd be rotating the driveshaft 180° and trying again.

​Thanks for your suggestions gents, I have been rotating it (ie as at the 5 min markers of a 12 hr clock,over the last two half days ) perhaps a half decent whack inwards may be what's required.I'll give it a shot when it stops raining.

​I know how easy these do come out, they've not been in that long, which truly is frustrating me.

​TJ

The locking ring on the driveshaft is causing you problems. If you did not positioned the locking ring correctly when mounted the shaft, can stuck on the splines of the differential when trying to get it out.
The only efective way without harming anything else in that case is as you mentioned the slide hammer.
From my experience the shaft will pop out with a short and strong pull not with constant force.

​Update

​Manged to get it removed today, used some small gauge cable for garage up and over door repairs. made a slip knot. hooked it over cv joint. then clamped the cable inbetween two injector fittings on the slide hammer, handling a bit awkward, but after a few swipes youl get the technique (advise heavy duty glove for cable hand ie rigger glove, welders glove for those attempting this method.

​On the third rotation to align circlip, it came off with one swipe of the hammer.
​Thanks for all the advice gents.
​TJ

Great to hear.

Recently I tried something similar removing a tricky driveshaft, but with a tie-down strap round the back of the cup.

Wouldn't have any of it though and stayed stuck, probably down to the stretch in the strap.

Managed to get a drift on it from behind luckily.

GLM

Gave it whack inwards before I started as per your suggestion, it did seem to position itself further inboard, I did go down the 1 1/2 ton tie down strap route, but it kept snapping as you say too much emegy lost due to streching,thus the change to steel cable.I had no option but to use this method, as the one sloping ridged leverage / purchase area of the gearbox housing on the right hand sidehad been gauged flat with the use of a 4 foot demolition bar.
It got a new oils seal ,set ring and a generous dose of grease before it went back in, hopefully easier next time !! .

TJ

Great news. Once everything's fixed it's usually funny when i look at the non standard toolbox items in the floor that I've dug out of the garage in an attempt to remove something.
Always good to be resourceful.

Always a lottery with driveshafts I find. They either pop out nicely, or you end up inventing new curse words.