What's new

Intermittent battery light

c.vincent

Reaction score
Car
accord tourer 2006
Hi

I know that others have reported a similar problem but I cant find an answer.
Recent months battery went flat whilst I was working on car with key in first position. Car 2006 with 116,000 on clock. Changed battery for new one. No problems for 2 months then flattened new battery and had to be jumped off. Tailgate would not work. even after looking at the manual. Took fuses out incase the tailgate was discharging the battery. Replaced them after 3 days. Shortly after alternator started to howl and get warm. Checked and not charging. removed smart plug no change 12.3 volts. Garage fitted new alternator. Now if I have no accessories turned on battery light comes on every 23 seconds for 2 seconds and then goes off. If I turn lights on, no issues. What is the answer please ?

Is the battery still health? It ran for a few months with an alternator that wasn't properly charging it?

Also, the "new" alternator, is the regulator working correctly? Do you have a warranty here?

You'll need to start probing with a Multi Meter to get the true voltages.

The car was taken to a local auto electrical company as soon as the problem showed itself. They reported back that there was no problem with either the battery or the alternator and said I should have a diagnostic as it was possible that the ECU needed re profiling. Havnt done this yet. In regards to warranties yes to both. My only concern is regarding the battery is that it is only a cheap one from a local diy autoparts shop. The car runs perfectly and the light only comes on periodically with no accessories on and when in very slow moving traffic. About every 5 mins. Seemed to me that it comes on for 4 or 5 seconds as the alternator closes down when the battery is fully charged. any further ideas

Bad connection?
have had car in for diagnostic different garage he tells me battery only holding charge at 11.4 volts returned to battery supplier who checked agreed and changed battery. Still does it. Argh

Sticking clutch on the alternator? Or a badly refurbed alternator.

No such thing as ecu re profiling for a replacement battery or alternator on a 7th gen Accord