What's new

Intermittent start issues, glow plug indicator not illuminating

beneverard

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 CDTI
Hey folks,

Does this issue sound familiar to anyone... turn key to ignition, glow plug indicator light doesn't illuminate, recently I've had to take the key out, put it back in again and turn to ignition a number of times before the glow plug indicator will light up.

If I try and start up when the glow plug indicator doesn't show it'll turn over but not fire.

My cheapo fault code scanner is dead so can't check codes, but I'd bet money on there not being any. Will get a new one to check, however.

While searching on here I've noticed questions about fuel filter type and age, mine's a proper Honda/Bosch, I fitted it in 2015, about ~35k miles ago.

Once it does start I don't have any other issues with running.

Generally speaking, it seems to be getting worse, but I've not found that it's related to any of the cold weather we've had recently.

Any thoughts?

I find there are few time I need the glow pugs to heat before the car starts, regardless of weather.

I did replace two of them (and scraped the other two clean) a few years back which may have helped.

Compression is important to ignite oil, is your battery in good condition ?

Cheers for your reply.

Indeed, I imagine the glow plugs are heating when the lamp lights up, and are finished heating when it turns off.

If this is true, I've noted that sometimes in colder weather it can take a moment longer to heat, but no problem there.

But as you'd imagine, when the light doesn't come on at all it suggests there is no heating at all.

I have had a couple of dead battery moments of late (likely eating lunch with my daughter with the heated seats on!), but it cranks really well after a recharge.

Had similar symptoms on a nissan note 1.5 dci. Started having starting issues, sometimes engine would turn over and start and other times it wouldn't.
Changed the car battery for a new one, no difference. Changed the key battery and it seemed to help for a while but eventually the car wouldn't start at all. Also noticed glow plug light wasn't coming on. So now you think it's a glow plug problem or ***ociated circuit.
I took the ecu out to check connections were okay, also the ccu, nothing. Thought I'd start checking fuses and relays and by total chance while I had the engine bay fuse and relay box out (which was a real pita) I looked at the wiring to it underneath and spotted some green oxidisation going into a connector. Wriggled the wire and it just fell out of the connector, totally corroded through. It turned out to be part of the ecu power supply circuit.
Rewired it and it started right up, no problems since.