What's new

iPod adapter

Dan Robinson

Grand High Plumber
Reaction score
Car
06 EX Tourer i-CTDI
We have owned our Accord for over a year and have had a very good ipod cradle that charged it, but would not play through the stereo. I thought this was odd, but then Honda didn't seem to understand how to connect an iPod to the PSS, a local ICE firm were equally clueless and insisted the only way was FM and tried to stiff me silly money for a hardwired option.

After a handy link from either Monks of Alnug I found a company that sold me an adapter that "plugged straight in the back of the headunit".

What about the XCarLink I hear you cry?

Well I hate the use of silly numbers fro playlists. I wanted the iPod screen and click wheel to function. Steering wheel controls were also not important for me. I wanted easy control and good sound.

So, after a very handy chat with Dave and Mutsaip, and a little bit of time spent getting the ashtray, cubby hole, and gear stick cover out of the way; I got enough confidence to tackle the job myself.

Little trip to Halfrauds this morning to pick up a trim removal tool (our fish slices were too thick, and I wanted the right tool for the job). I read complaints about it being flimsy; but then so are trim clips - so I considered that a feature rather than a fault.

I took the dude to the local model railway to tire him out, and got home just as he passed out in the back. So out came the tools and the adapter - a DICE Interface for iPod by SilverLine.

With the civinfo.com link already stored on my phone, I set to removing all the gubbins. This is really easy. Once you get the gear stick cover off, you can see the technique and how Honda have used a fair bit of common sense in how they put our consoles together. The vent cover was remarkably easy to get off once I gave up trying to get the tool in under vent section and attacked it from the side. Now, I know it had been removed before, so I don't know if that made it easier to do.

Before I installed the new unit, I wanted to get the "charger cradle" off the Brodit mount (that will hopefully get re-used as it is very good). So I tracked the cable down to a little box. At first I thought it was a transformer, but no - far too lightweight for that. Out come the snippers and I managed to get it free - and low and behold; the flipping thing turned out to be an FM transmitter!!!

IMAG1584.jpg

Now, once I got the Sat Nav out I realised that there was some strange shenanigans going on the with the aerial:

IMAG1586.jpg

IMAG1587.jpg

There was also a chopped off wire coming from behind the vents:

IMAG1585.jpg

I disconnected the power and the transmitter's section of the cradle and left the box in there with (I ***ume) aerial connections as they were. I wondered about putting it all back and trying it out, but the dude had woken up so I knew I was on borrowed time.

The new adapter was slotted in and I put the box under the DVD drive. Which was a mistake - When I tried to put the cubby hole back in, the adapter box stopped me getting the trim pushed all the back. So out it came along with the DVD - so its new home is on top of the DVD. Temporarily the iPod cable is poking out the of the passenger foot-well. Once I source the cradle I need (one that holds both an iPod classic and an IPod Touch) I will take it all out again and fix the cable properly.

Once you've got the first time out of the way, it really is easy to get in and out of that space. If I can do it anyone can!!!!

So if anyone can help with what is going on with the aerial leads I would be grateful. I'm not sure what I will do with the old doodah, but might put it up for sale as a cheaper alternative to the XCarlink and the DICE adapter. Will need to disconnect the rest of its wires first though. I need to test the radio more as I can't remember if I reconnected its power lead which may affect the reception.

About time dude, well done and nice write up
smile.gif
smile.gif
. Are all the screws accounted for though???
laugh.gif

Interesting stuff, so what exactly will this new adaptor do for you and what additional features will it have over the x car link?

Yep no spare parts (that I remember removing anyway) - I did drop the left hand bolt for the DVD down the back, but it was flushed out with my long magnet and taking the Passenger footwell access panel out.

Trying to think of an excuse for a long journey tomorrow to try it out :lol:

Got some classic music to test the signal/noise ratio as well as some thumping dance tracks that tested the FM signal to the point of me skipping tracks out of annoyance.

As far as I can tell it allowed you to use the iPod for control, and the display. Like I mentioned, I hate all this CDC stuff.

Which you could use if you wanted to - there are DIP switches for various options of using steering wheel controls, SatNav Text and the like. If there is interest, I might scan some of the manual and post it up.

As I understood it the XCarLink did not leave the iPod controls and screen operational. I did ask this before on the old site....

Although - just read through their website and it seems the current version does the same thing :lol:

I use xcarlink with my iPhone and you can still use the iPhone controls and screen or use the steering wheel controls to skip tracks etc.

I would think the two products are nearly identical inside - the price is certainly close enough for me not to bother checking. XCarlink have certainly improved tier website since I last checked in.

The trick now is to find the right cradle.

I was lucky with this car as it already had xcarlink installed.

I've got a Brodit universal holder as my iPhone is in a case and wanted flexibility for future cases/phones. It's adjustable with some hidden acres for various widths. Really sturdy and I've had a few Brodit holders and this has to be just as good as the specific ones.

Do you know which one? I have been trawling a couple of sites and can't find one that allows the connector through the bottom. Unless I get one for a specific iPod.

Just been looking but will keep hunting for you mate. I'll be back.

:D

I think this was it. I thought it was for any phone but appears to be adjustable for iPhone. Mines in a case and fits fine. Not sure what phone you've got mate.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001KWZT80/ref=aw_d_iv_electronics?is=l

Cheers bud - trying to get the Brodit specs for it to see if it will accommodate the iPod Touch but it looks like the job if it goes that small.

I was hoping it would have the number on it but it doesn't.

thanks for that.

As it's on Amazon I might just order it - if it doesn't work it can always go back ;).

Alternatively I can get a cheap universal one from Halfords and just give a working over with a Dremmel.

However I might reconsider - I mean - the iPod touch is mine, the Classic lives in the Honda, so a passive holder for that would in fact be perfectly adequate. It all depends on how much I want to get that cable hidden away :lol:

Dan would you not want an actual one whhere you can just dock and not worry about plugging the wire in?

Yeah, but when you've got 4 weeks of continuous, unrepeated music and music vids at your fingertips, it knocks a CD changer into a ****ed hat. I have an "unplayed" playlist for those adventurous days - then you realise there are some real gems hidden away.

I am still a old fashioned CD man cant be doing with MP3 you cant listen to more than 6 CD worth of music in a day!!

The first thing I do when I get in my car is plug my phone in and choose a random album. I easily listen to 6cd's (not a day mind) and saves the hastle of changing them over.

Shabz, is there such a thing? guess it would have to be compatible with the adapter. But yes - the old one did that, except it went through an FM transmitter rather than the headunit - hence the change.

Changing takes not more than 4 minutes.. not the end of the world

I time my day to the minute especially on a morning. That'd mean losing 20 mins a week sleep. That's 17 hours a year! :lol:

I don't actually have any CD's other than the ones remaining from my University Days - in a fricking big heavy box in the Loft. Along with my DVD's and books - everything is digital in my house.

Yeah agree with you there. A pair of Technics 1210's and a mixer and I'd be lost for hours.

1210's :lol: that takes me back!

OK, might have do dig out some of those Slipmat CD's :lol:

DJ Slipmat you doughnut :lol:

Right, back on topic, took a toolset back to Halfrauds because of missing bits, and saw a cheap cradle.

Got it home and a little cutting here, and a pair of self rappers there and hey presto. Need to see if the Touch fits as well.

Whipped the console apart again (loosing one of the DVD bolts in the process :(); and routed the cable Through the glove box.

In the process I found another bundle of cables with what looked like an old Nokia charger and a 3.5mm audio jack.

Someone really went to town on this car before we got it.

Anyway, now the iPod can stay attached whilst stashing it in the glove box. The CH + & - skip and repeat tracks which is a pleasant surprise, and the adapter start and stops the music with the engine it a change of function.

Had a very loud blast of the Schindler's List sound track and the quality was phenomenal. Some old skool Prodigy also didn't phase it. I was pleasantly surprised at how loud it would go. I was a little worried that it would be too quiet because of the silly limit set by Apple.

Well I hate the use of silly numbers fro playlists. I wanted the iPod screen and click wheel to function. Steering wheel controls were also not important for me. I wanted easy control and good sound.

My Xcarlink has the full Ipod screen, controls and the steering wheel controls control it aswell. The playlist thing is when you select a different changer disc on the headunit.

Like I mentioned earlier, that wasn't clear on their website at the time, and when I asked on THAOC no one confirmed otherwise. So it would appear I have a near identical product installed the same way that cost as near as damn it the same.

Dan I wouldn't worry too much, there is no law set that we have to get xcarlink for this type of solution lol

The benefit I get from the xcarlink is the bluetooth stremaing and calling. The Ipod connection obviously help.

I'd be interested to see what sort of experience you get from this unit