What's new

Is it safe to drive around without a resonator chamber?

szabi89

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2003 SE
The other day, someone has reversed into my accord pretty hard and managed to destroy my resonator chamber. I new one would cost £180 which I find quite excessive. Ive read on the internet that without a resonator, the engine gets more/better airflow, therefore increasing MPG and that it also makes the car sound nicer. So are there any downsides to not having a resonator chamber? Will it ruin the engine if I drive about without one? How likely is it that the engine will suck water up along with air. Thank You Very Much

2 things to think of is you don't need a res box for a full ram induction kit.
Also A CT ice box replaces your old air box without the need for the res box.
Is your car petrol or diesel?
Your existing air box spout will still sit high up into the wheel arch and will not suck water in unless your going through water level with the top of your wheels.

Hi. My car's a petrol with a stock air filter. So from what I understand, it is safe to drive without a res box as long as im not crossing a river with the car? Also, my friends suggested that I simply attach a performance cone shaped air filer to the bottom of the pipe to stop water going in all together. Could that work at all? Thanks again

I wouldn't worry about it, it should be fine. Are you claiming off the insurance of the person that drove into you? If not I would just get a replacement resonator or complete airbox from a breaker or from eBay

It was a hit and run. Some guy waited for me at my car and told me what car it was but no reg. number. Id rather not claim on insurance as it would sky rocket my premium. I tried ebay and phoned up about 10 different breakers but no one seems to have one. Apparently these res boxes are very model specific. I know that the accord executive has a different res. box from the sport edition ones.
So do you think my friends' cone shaped air filter idea work? Thanks

szabi89 said:
It was a hit and run. Some guy waited for me at my car and told me what car it was but no reg. number. Id rather not claim on insurance as it would sky rocket my premium. I tried ebay and phoned up about 10 different breakers but no one seems to have one. Apparently these res boxes are very model specific. I know that the accord executive has a different res. box from the sport edition ones.
So do you think my friends' cone shaped air filter idea work? Thanks
Don't use 2 filters as it will restrict the airflow. You will rather loose a little bhp instead of gaining