What's new

Is the Type-S worth it?

babak

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord I-CTDI
Hi,

Does anyone know if there any major differences between the 2.2 I-DTEC and the 180 hp Type-S version in terms of engine/turbo/intercooler or is it just an ECU tweak and bigger wheels?

If it is the latter I would probably prefer to just get the 150 bhp version and get a remap/dpf removal from Fahad?

Hi,

Does anyone know if there any major differences between the 2.2 I-DTEC and the 180 hp Type-S version in terms of engine/turbo/intercooler or is it just an ECU tweak and bigger wheels?

If it is the latter I would probably prefer to just get the 150 bhp version and get a remap/dpf removal from Fahad?
Yes there is a big difference as the typs S comes fully loaded.The turbo is upgraded from the normal I-DTEC hence the 180 bhp.Also you will have the twin pot calipers also seen on the 2.4 8 gen.
Also the gains with a remap are around 220 bhp but have a talk with Fahad on this.

The Type S also has a larger inter-cooler in the front grill to support that turbo.

Either way get a re-map as the heavy accord feels very slow without it (148hp version).

> Yes there is a big difference as the typs S comes fully loaded.The turbo is upgraded from the normal I-DTEC
> hence the 180 bhp. Also you will have the twin pot calipers also seen on the 2.4 8 gen.

>The Type S also has a larger inter-cooler in the front grill to support that turbo.

I know the received wisdom around here is that remaps are the way to go... i.e. Substantial improvements in power and torque with little decrease in MPG (if driven half sensibly), and little or no other negative side effects...
BUT what are we missing? I mean why do Honda feel it necessary to go to all that trouble... if all they really need is a Fahah remap?(!)

What am I missing ?

Conservative marketing. Most turbo cars, petrol and diesel can be mapped up a lot. It's not a Honda thing, it's universal. People like us are very enthusiastic about our cars and the engine performance is very important. Further to that, we often tend to be driving minded, feeling the car, the road, the general dynamics of inertia and acceleration. We understand the road and the car better than the average driver (on the whole).

My dad on the other hand (generic accountant in his early 60s) would be happy with a comfy, smooth ride and couldn't car less if there is untapped potential in his engine. Further still, if his engine was a bit more poky, he'd might even be a little put off. Overall composure is key. Believe or not, we're actually a minority in terms of car buyers when it comes to what we want from our motors.

There's no doubt in my mind that the cars are made well enough to handle the power upgrades, but by keeping them tamed down, you further increase their potential for reliability, keep them as calmer drives, appealing to old people with the disposable income to buy a car new (as opposed to the 2nd hand market) and perhaps keep the power within certain emission/tax band criteria. After all, increase a cars BHP, possibly increases its undesirable gas output which in turn will have negative impacts on its tax band. A major factor in modern car sales marketing, in the UK at least.

My car costs about £280 a year to tax. Some people at work have new 1.8 diesel BMWs that cost about £20 a year!!! It was key in their decision to buy. They could get their cars mapped, but do they care? No...

This might sound strange coming from a tuner, but in reality if you want a fast car... then buy one. Tuning isn't about turning a bad car into a good one, it's about making a good car, better.

JS raises a good point, the strategy shouldn't be to buy a car and then just tune it in the hope of making it into something it was never intended to be. It should be about getting the car you wanted in the first place, and then yes if you want to improve it, then a quality remap is something that should probably be on your wishlist.

As already pointed out the TYPE S is not simply an ecu tweak over stock, it has many hardware modifications from the factory and is designed to handle the extra power. The chassis and brakes are also tuned to handle the extra power.

Manufacturers leave large power reserves in their engines for reliability and longevity. As tuners, it's those tolerances we are eating in to. The trick is (and perhaps the difference between a responsible and irresponsible tuner) is to know exactly how far to tune, and how much tolerance to leave for reliability. It should never be a numbers game.