What's new

[K24] time for the big service ! (clutch + timing chain + ...)

IloveJapan

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord CM2
Hi here! My CM2 is over 210K kms now, and need a big service! My clutch has now signs of wear, my starter has some rattle noise, timing chain is recommended to change... I've also plan some upgrades and an E85 conversion.

So I've bought all necessary parts for this service, but I don't want to leave my car with unfinished work do to parts missing or break during service during days or weeks, so if you think there some missing or recommended parts to change you're welcome...

Clutch:

I've bought a FN2 flywheel, falling from 8.1kg to 5.2kg with an OEM part. So I'll use a AISIN KH-063 clutch kit, with Elring oil seal (91214-PWA-003) & OEM flywheel new bolts. Just missing centering tool in the AISIN kit...

7iub.jpg

Do you think I need to buy additional parts from this scheme ?

M__0300.gif

Timing Chain:

I've bought a Felbi-Bilstein 108128 kit, which is absolutely full:

108128_1.jpg

I bought also a 06114-RBB-E01 seal kit (oil seal + all chaincase gaskets), and Elring 458.310 valve cover gasket kit, and inlet manifold gasket.

yfk4.jpg

Starter

My starter begins to make some rattle noise, so I've bought a new one, equivalent to the Mitsubishi OEM 1.4kW (31200-RAA-A01). I'll do a service to mine and keep it for the next exchange...

Exhaust Manifold

I've bought a Littlebo exhaust manifold last year, since I don't have time to fit it...
So, I ordered thermal wrap to cover it, a new OEM exhaust gasket, stainless steel bolts & nuts to be able to fit/unfit the catalytic converter easily for inspection...

xxye.jpg

Front suspension

I've already change my lower & upper arms, but I've still "clonk" noise sometimes... So I decided to finish my work & I'll change spring mounting rubbers & absorbers (51686-SDA-A01 & 51631-SL0-003), Roll bar links & bushes.

igdq.jpg

Missing parts - advice request

• Engine / gearbox bushes: There is 3 engine bushes & 3 gearbox bushes. Engines bushes are expensive, gearbox less. Which ones are recommended to change (or hard to change when engine & gearbox are in engine bay) ?
  • Ignition coils: I want to change them, but I don't know which one to buy. OEM NGK are hugely expensive (150€ each!), and there is a large choice of other cheaper premium brands (Hella, Delphi, Denso, Herth & Buss, from 30€ to 60€ each) and some friends recommended performances coils (Accel Supercoils, MSD performance coils), or Aliexpress performance coils (yellow & red ones)... I'm totally lost!
  • power steering hose: It's known to leak, mine doesn't but it'll probably suffer during the engine removal. The cheap one on aliexpress (50€) is OK ?
  • Every small parts (bolts/nuts/gaskets/covers...) than can break when engine/gearbox removal & dismantle: Is there anybody to give me advice ?

E85 conversion / performances parts

I'll convert my car to E85 just after this big service... As I'll have a fully personalized engine map, I want to finish my engine upgrades before. I've already RSP inlet & Injen CAI, exhaust manifold with decat pipe. I've plan to add additional plug & play parts:
  • J35 butterfly: cheap & easy to find. J37 is bigger, but more expensive, and I don't know if differences with J35 will be sufficient.
  • Injectors: True OEM RDX injectors are hard to find, a friend recommended Delphi 450cc injectors: https://www.ebay.fr/itm/174947905566?hash=item28bbb5301e:g:iNMAAOSwwe1auVgU
  • VTC Pulley/Cams: My first plan was to mount an K20A2 / K20Z4 engine head: Frankenstein K24 engine! Seems to be plug & play, I'm seeking for a cheap good one (500€ max...), but hard to find and risky. An Honda mechanic said me that the main differences are only on cams and VTC pulley: is there any good drop-in cams for the K24 and a customized VTC pulley allowing 45° advance max?
Clutch replacement procedure:

I've the Honda workshop manual, but easy to use... I've finally find a good DIY on TSXclub forum:

DIY: Manual Transmission/Clutch Replacement and Removal

Last edited: