What's new

Knocking noise front end.

rob88

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 icdti,
Hi everyone, the other day while driving I start to hear a clunking/knocking noise from the front end of my 2004 ictdi, possibly passenger side. The engine, braking and steering all seem fine, this may be made worse by going over bumps.
I haven't had a good chance to look yet but will later. Control arms replaced last year, everything fine until a few days ago.
Any ideas? Thanks

My Mk 8 seem to be doing the same! struts replaced (needed replacing as getting week after 155k miles) along with the drop links may be the anti roll bar bushes need doing

Mine was knocking last year, I couldn't find the problem but it failed the mot on a faulty upper front wishbone arm. I replaced it and it solved the problem.

Mine passed it's MOT a few months ago no fails and no advisory's, been knocking for about a year.

Well not all garages are as thorough as others. My Daughter had a Vauxhall Astra a couple of years back, this was the advisory list from one garage:

Mileage79,579 miles
MOT test number4805 8804 5233
Test location

View test location

Expiry date13 May 2019
Advisory notice item(s)
  • Offside Rear coil spring corroded (2.4.C.1b)
  • exhaust system slightly corroded + flexi mesh damaged
  • Nearside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Offside Rear Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
  • Nearside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)
  • Offside Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)
  • Nearside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)
  • Offside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrules (3.6.B.4e)
  • Nearside Rear Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing (2.7.2a)
  • Offside Rear Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing (2.7.2a)
I did not rectify any of them and the following year (+6 months due to covid ) took it to a different garage and this was their advisory list:

Mileage85,946 miles
MOT test number4363 6506 4919
Test location

View test location

Expiry date9 November 2020
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Front Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Brake disc worn, but not excessively (1.1.14 (a) (i))

In deed, our now dead FRV when to the same garage every year, the first year rear anti roll bar bushes slightly worn. Never changed them and passed the next five years with out them being mentioned again. So yes i agree with you.

Managed to have a good look after work today, the only thing I noticed was my nearside upper control arm ball joint looks shot, it has movement and looks dead, will replace it and see if that is the culprit. I was thinking the struts but will replace the arms first.

Replaced nearside upper control arm, noise still happening. Had another good look and I have a feeling it's the tie rods as they seem to have play. I don't want to keep replacing parts so need to really find the cause of this. I will investigate further, I'll update the thread as this may help someone else in the future.

Replaced tie rods and front anti roll bar links, seems to have cured the problem.
If anyone is thinking of doing the tie rods I bought a £10 removal tool off Amazon that works great instead of paying out for a proper tool, will need a breaker bar and extensions. One other thing is I bought the tie rods cheap off auction site, quality of the nuts was poor, like tin foil, had to use different ones. Some of the cheaper stuff ain't great quality.