What's new

Leeking pressure power steering hose

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi guys!

A friend of mine got a 2004 diesel Accord and have just started to leak power steering fluid. He went to Honda, they asked about 450€, including labor, to solve the problem.

I haven't yet looked at the car, but by what he told me, it's the pressure power steering hose that is leaking, part nº4:
http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SEA01&block_02=B__3362&block_03=2886

I have been looking for aftermarket parts, and can't find any, at least for the European version.
Although I managed to find a Gates part for the Acura TSX in the USA, it doesn't seem to be the same part for the diesel version: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3819741
Also, I have been look in Gates Europe division, but they don't have power steering hoses...

Does anyone have a suggestion on this one. Is there an aftermarket part for this?

£241 for part number 4? Wow. I'd be off to a breakers yard, or get the current piping professionally repaired.

£241 for part number 4? Wow. I'd be off to a breakers yard, or get the current piping professionally repaired.

Do you think it can be repaired by a shop specialized in hydraulic hoses?

Pedro how bad is the leak? Can it be repaired in some way and is the leek from the rubber part or metal part.

It's leaking about 1liter per month, so it's not that small.

I don't know where's the leak, haven't looked at it, and he is not a very "handy" guy for this kind of things :p

It's leaking about 1liter per month, so it's not that small.

I don't know where's the leak, haven't looked at it, and he is not a very "handy" guy for this kind of things :p
Im sure if it the metal part it can be spot welded or if its the rubber gone you could replace this.
I think when you see the hose you will have a better ideal :)

Do you think it can be repaired by a shop specialized in hydraulic hoses?

Well I would certainly strip it and find out. The hydraulics of this would be similar (though I'd imagine less pressurised) to those of earth moving machinery. A proper machine shop like those of tractors will know pretty quickly.

I have a sneaky feeling this was a known issue by Honda and possibly either covered under extended warranty, or maybe an opportunity to ask for some ***istance from them.

It might be worth talk to the guys at Honda, you never know B)

In fact I think it was Nuno (member Joooe) also from Portugal that had this problem. Drop him a PM and ask Pedro.