What's new

Live Data

ryan14421

Reaction score
Hi, I have an 8th gen Accord 2.2 I-DTEC. Looking through the live data and noticed that Absolute throttle position was at 22.74% at idle along with a relative throttle position of 90% again at idle. These don’t look right to me. There are no DTC’s and the car drives well. Although my MPG is very low. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• F51DAA28-9FC7-4F01-A837-16773272E545.jpeg
    F51DAA28-9FC7-4F01-A837-16773272E545.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 8
Going off a quick online search, absolute throttle position seems to be the reading off the throttle position sensor, which doesn't have to have any particular meaning (ie. it can be 20% for wide open throttle or 67% for closed throttle) and the relative throttle position is after the ECU compensates for any discrepancy (meaning it should be the actual value, higher percentage indicating more open throttle plate).
And as far as I'm aware, diesels run wide open throttle almost all of the time, no matter the load or engine RPM.

Going off a quick online search, absolute throttle position seems to be the reading off the throttle position sensor, which doesn't have to have any particular meaning (ie. it can be 20% for wide open throttle or 67% for closed throttle) and the relative throttle position is after the ECU compensates for any discrepancy (meaning it should be the actual value, higher percentage indicating more open throttle plate).
And as far as I'm aware, diesels run wide open throttle almost all of the time, no matter the load or engine RPM.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Didn’t realise that diesels ran open mainly.

Petrols run on throttle opening, Diesels run on fuel being injected.

Petrols run on throttle opening, Diesels run on fuel being injected.
Hi Bounder, thanks for the reply. So looking at my live data screenshot does it look like I have an issue? Currently only getting around 24mpg. Although due to COVID and working from home mainly just town driving. Still seems rather low to me.

Judging by what others are quoting on the forum, I'd say the 24mpg is low for that car. I suggest checking other threads for similar issues, maybe something simple comes up to try (for example you can start browsing suggestions here https://typeaccord.co.uk/board/threads/2004-i-ctdi-low-mpg.12169/), while you're waiting for a response regarding the OBD readings you've posted.