Loss of display at top of dash

Tafia

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord diesel
Hi folks.

Accord diesel Executive.

I notice the dashtop display with the radio/CD details and interior temperature is flashing off and back on intermittently.

I have had a problem in the past when I lost the left hand half of the dash along with the speedo. That was fixed by an auto spark who said it was a dry joint to a power transistor. Could have been what was suggested on this forum of course which was a known issue with a blue and a green connector block behind the dash.

The fault does not seem to affect the running of the car but it does make me wonder.

Anyone else had this issue? Problem is I am going to use the car to reach the airport shortly and wonder if it will get me there!!. The auto spark will not be able to look at the problem before I am due to leave.

Thanks

T

Yes, there is a simple fix.
"I had the same problem a few weeks ago after 8 years 100% reliability.The problem is slight movement of the plug socket at the rear of the display unit.The plug socket is soldered directly to the circuit board so when it moves it slightly twists the circuit board which in turn distorts the display screen which then goes blank.To fix it unclip top centre dash panel,lift up and unplug all 3 plugs (1.display screen 2.hazzard warning switch 3.small plug near windscreen).The top panel complete with withdisplay unit can now be removed from car.Turn upside down and look into plug socket of display unit and you will see a gap (all around) between plug socket and display casing.To fix the problem i put a piece of rubber/pastic edging onto the top edge (edge nearest the top of the dash board) of the rectangular opening to fill the gap on one side of the rectangular opening.This supports the plug socket and stops it moving.The edging i used was a piece cut from car door edging strip bought (?1) from car accessory store (the type put on outside edge of the door to prevent paint damage when opening).The size of the rubber/plastic strip was 1/16 of an inch thick.My screen now works perfectly.

Place rubber edging on BOTTOM edge (edge nearest car floor) of rectangular opening NOT top as stated in my post #3. "

Try to google it to get to the page if you want.

I have fixed mine and now it's ok. More than 6 months on bad roads and still working like new.

Cheers

Many thanks for taking the trouble to help me, Dakata.

Seems as if it is not something that will stop me on the motorway then. I won't have time to do this before I go but will certainly have a look on my return.

Much appreciated.

Very best wishes

T

Mine has been off and on for months, tapping the area around the display brings it back on but hit a pot hole or a bit of rough road and it's off again. Will try the fix described above thanks for replying.

John

Is it the green connector that you are referring to?

I've removed the rear cover of the display unit here... Didn't think of wedging in a bit of plastic - just cleaned contact but it still plays up.

Thanks

20140615_172620.jpg

Yes, it's the green one.
Put something between the socket and the casing.Because there is a movement that can cause bad connection.
I've used rubber.
( the green connector goes to a white socket and the white socket is the one that moves and also moves the green connector when attached )
Cheers

Can you remind me how to get the top panel off? Does it just unclip with a little leverage and where do I insert the "lever". Should the battery be disconnected to avoid flashovers?

I am always very wary of messing with car electrics. ( Chicken!)

Cheers

T

I used a stiff wall paper scraper, and attacked the cover just as it bends over onto the flat part, takes a bit of force but will not break anything, did not disconnect the battery.

There is a video in YouTube, also you can find it here in DIY ( installing rear view camera ).
Really easy and cheap fix.

dakata said:
There is a video in YouTube, also you can find it here in DIY ( installing rear view camera ).
Really easy and cheap fix.
Sorry but I still can't find the video or see it under DIY.

Do you have a direct link?

Thanks again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzHKGWf4l6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3xwamWsVKM

Google it. It's easy

good info on fixing this issue that I also am experiencing, so thanks, Dakata, and edgeoftime, for the tip!

Yes, there is a simple fix.
"I had the same problem a few weeks ago after 8 years 100% reliability.The problem is slight movement of the plug socket at the rear of the display unit.The plug socket is soldered directly to the circuit board so when it moves it slightly twists the circuit board which in turn distorts the display screen which then goes blank.To fix it unclip top centre dash panel,lift up and unplug all 3 plugs (1.display screen 2.hazzard warning switch 3.small plug near windscreen).The top panel complete with withdisplay unit can now be removed from car.Turn upside down and look into plug socket of display unit and you will see a gap (all around) between plug socket and display casing.To fix the problem i put a piece of rubber/pastic edging onto the top edge (edge nearest the top of the dash board) of the rectangular opening to fill the gap on one side of the rectangular opening.This supports the plug socket and stops it moving.The edging i used was a piece cut from car door edging strip bought (?1) from car accessory store (the type put on outside edge of the door to prevent paint damage when opening).The size of the rubber/plastic strip was 1/16 of an inch thick.My screen now works perfectly.

Place rubber edging on BOTTOM edge (edge nearest car floor) of rectangular opening NOT top as stated in my post #3. "

Try to google it to get to the page if you want.

I have fixed mine and now it's ok. More than 6 months on bad roads and still working like new.

Cheers

sorted!! New to Honda and this is one of two issues. Fixed display in two minutes thanks to this post. Very helpful

Thanks dakata. I used a small piece of rubber and wedged it between the white case and the bottom of the green connector. Did this a week ago and the LED display has been 100% since on my 07 Accord.

Yes, it's the green one.
Put something between the socket and the casing.Because there is a movement that can cause bad connection.
I've used rubber.

( the green connector goes to a white socket and the white socket is the one that moves and also moves the green connector when attached )
Cheers
I've got the same issue.
When you say put something between the green socket and the casing, do you mean where i has circled red in the picture below? As on mine there is no gap to wedge something into.
Screenshot 2022-05-10 at 20.56.40.jpg

Or just get a fixed replacement

I (hopefully) managed to fix it myself. On removing the green socket, one of the pins was loose. A few dabs of solder to reconnect it and on reassembly it all seems to be working fine. Only time will tell

I had this repaired on mine from a chap in Leicester a number of years ago - worked perfect ever since !