What's new

Lower arm bushing replacement

dejv

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2006 I-CDTI
Had a lower arm bushing that needed replacement and try removing it myself. but got some problems :S

managed to remove most of the bolts but have a problem with this last one. the nut came off but cannot remove the bolt

tried putting back the nut and hammering with a screw driver hoping for it to get out but still couldn't get it out. Any ideas what I can try.

also one of the balljoints snapped, is it possible to replace just that part ?

Yes the ball joint is replaceable but it's a garage job to press the old one out and the new one in.

At a guess I would say the bolt has seized in the bush. It's a fairly common issue on the Honda range. Some of the options are soak it continuously in wd40 or equivalent and hope that frees it off, use a spray like freeze and release (smells like deep heat). Carry on hitting it and hoping that it will eventually start to shift. Try with impact wrench(if you can get in there) to shock the threads free. There is generally no easy solution when this happens though.

I would say the same as above, looked seized in the bolt. You could try pressing it out.

chew said:
Try jacking under the arm to take the load off.
there is no load on it as all the bolts are already removed exept that one

Cliffordski said:
Yes the ball joint is replaceable but it's a garage job to press the old one out and the new one in.
ok thanks

Cliffordski said:
On my car that nut was welded to the frame - is it different on yours?
it was but when trying to remove the bolt it came off :S even tried to welding it in place and try to removing the bolt again but doesn't want to come out. I am guessing that it is either bent inside

wookie said:
At a guess I would say the bolt has seized in the bush. It's a fairly common issue on the Honda range. Some of the options are soak it continuously in wd40 or equivalent and hope that frees it off, use a spray like freeze and release (smells like deep heat). Carry on hitting it and hoping that it will eventually start to shift. Try with impact wrench(if you can get in there) to shock the threads free. There is generally no easy solution when this happens though.
tried spraying rust off but still didn't come off :mad:

will try using freeze and release on monday since today shops are closed :S
cant get impact in there.

I've seen a video on YouTube about Compliance bushes on Honda and the guy says seized bolts are quite common mine came out fairly easy though. Have you tried a blow torch on it.

My only other thought is that having the shocker fork there could be putting a lot of downward pressure on the whole setup. The Honda manual for this job says take that off early doors after the drop link comes off.

If you can remove the fork, take the nut off the bolt, jack the arm up a touch from underneath, twist and pull the bolt from the left with molegrips, and hit it from the right if you can.....might be worth a try.

can you rotate the bolt? if not, sounds like the bolt has corroded itself to the bush? Keep cranking it with your breaker bar until it rotates...or are you saying it wont budge? if so try harder but that could result in shearing the head straight off the bolt leaving you possibly in a stickier situation...! :p If the bolt does rotate, it will come out eventually, just keep trying. Good luck!!

bush was turning together with the bolt. only solved it with cutting the bolt.

next week will be replacing the ones on the other side hehe

while dismantling the driver side, I damaged the abs sensor and now I am looking for a replacement.

Should I go for a used genuine one or a new after market one ?