What's new

lowering a 7th gen diesel

nokia

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen IDTEC Saloon
Any advice regarding lowering a 7th gen diesel? Which springs and from where??? Seen a few eibach spring kits on ebay around £160 mark and apex £110. Any ideas please guys? Car is sitting on 17s at the mo, may upgrade to 18s in the future so.....

hmm i think Fahad is rollin on eibachs not sure..

Saj,

As per the other reply - the real way to lower this car is to fit a new kit. Either coilovers or a Honda A Spec suspension.

People are getting away with springs alone but ultimately you'll always hanker for the proper setup.

I think if you do go down the route of springs only, people are going for Eibach's.

This will become a good thread so I'm moving to the right section.

Cheers

Fahad.

ahhhhh, would i screw up the shocks if i just wacked on the Eibachs??? Whats the worse that could happen if i just did the springs?

ull just wear down ur shocks faster and u wont have a really good ride that compared to the a-specs and coilover suspensions

Yep effectively you are causing your shocks to always be compressed and run shorter rebound cycles than they were intended by original manufacturer design.

It's not just specific to Honda, any car you lower - if you just install springs and are lowering by more than 20mm (and let's face it, who isn't) then you really need to look into shorter shocks that are correctly rated for the springs.

It's not just about protecting the life of your shocks, as pointed out above, it's about maintaining the correct ride composure, handling and generally just achieveing the best blend of ride/handling you can by lowering.

if budget constraints then yes eibach or h and r are good TUV approved makes... it'll give you the look but handling will be a compromise...but these things are always down to price at the end of the day and what you want to achieve..

another alternative is the tein s-tech springs.. they say it has been designed to specifically match with ur stock shocks so this could be an alternative option too.. price im not too sure about last time i looked it was 170 pounds or there about

so if she puts some 18s on it, it will look awful wouldnt it without lowering it?

To me yes mate, but it's a personal thing really. I think they came with 18's a dealer upgrade so you can do it and not lower it.

shelling out on 18's along with a proper lowring kit, that will run into a couple of 1000's

well, shes got 17's on at the mo, with standard suspension. If she put on the 18's would there be much difference?

well, shes got 17's on at the mo, with standard suspension. If she put on the 18's would there be much difference?

18" with standard suspension?...inevitbly changing alloy size will always affect the ride/handling somewhat...just depend what profile tyre you go too what offset your wheel is, what width your wheel is and what weight your wheel is...so yer..there will be some affect lol

imho and this is just me.. i dont like putting bigger wheels if i haven't lowered my car first..otherwise it would look like a 4x4.. but thats me as i like being low and slow.. lol... on the other hand most sensible people want to be at normal heights to avoid getting trashed on the humps lol

thansk for the advice everyone, gona talk to her about it later

will do Anojan. Thank very much to all. Very much appreciated indeed. :)

I had 17's on mine and lowered it on the Eibachs and found the ride to be fine. Of course it was a little harder but nothing unbearable. I found though that the nice muted thud when you went over bumps had gone and gone more to a slight harsher sound (hard to describe really). I wondered if it was a shocker going but when I reverted to standard the noise went back to normal. All the suspension was torqued and loaded correctly so can only ***ume the standard shockers didn't like their relationship with shorter stiffer springs. The eibachs were better then standard though but as Faddy has said A Spec is better. Hope that ***ists.

the sound is because you'll probably be knocking on the bump stops at times when you run out of shock travel...

I had 17's on mine and lowered it on the Eibachs and found the ride to be fine. Of course it was a little harder but nothing unbearable. I found though that the nice muted thud when you went over bumps had gone and gone more to a slight harsher sound (hard to describe really). I wondered if it was a shocker going but when I reverted to standard the noise went back to normal. All the suspension was torqued and loaded correctly so can only ***ume the standard shockers didn't like their relationship with shorter stiffer springs. The eibachs were better then standard though but as Faddy has said A Spec is better. Hope that ***ists.

Thanks for that Paul, useful info B)

Saj Ive got eibachs with std dampers on mine at the moment.

Its been like that for the last 15k and the ride is not compromised at all but I do expect the dampers to wear out alot quicker than normal.

As has been said its down to cost, however for the tourer I had two choices springs only or a spec kit. I wanted a little more of a drop than the a spec offered so went for springs. I think if I had a saloon I would have gone the coilover route for sure.

But Im happy with my springs at the moment everything is perfect.

Andy

Ok guys, spoken to her and she says she wants the 18s on it asap, lol. Question is though, the size would be 225 45 18 for the new ones, she currently has 225 45 17. If I get these put on the car, without touching the suspension, could it cause problems??? Ie rubbing on the inside of the arch etc etc?

No as you're going up an inch in rim diameter, you need to lower the profile by 5% so the correct size is 225/40/18

Monks is right though, if you're gonna go down the springs route - Eibach is normally the best choice as they manufacture progressively wound springs to match standard dampers.

Got a question about Tein S-tech springs mentioned earlier. Is it possible to find it for a diesel somwhere in the UK? I can' find anything!
Thanks