What's new

Machine polisher recommendations?

NimBoy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.0SE
Hi guys got a 2001 6th gen Silver honda accord, I am looking to get a machine polisher which is beginner friendly.

Any links or reccomendations will be helpful,

i read somewhere that the you need some specific pads as the honda paint work is not the best

Detailingworld has lots of information on there. Take it with a pinch of salt thought. Some of the boys on there spend silly amounts of money on cleaning products - £30 plus on a bucket with a logo on the side.

Look out for a DAS6 Pro which is essentially a hyped up random orbital sander if you are a beginner. Something like a flex rotary - a hyped up angle grinder is what people with more experience use. The main thing you need to be careful with when using a machine polisher is not keeping the machine in a single spot for too long, otherwise it could burn through the paint causing damage. As long as you keep the pad moving, you should be fine. No need to put too much pressure on a panel, let the machine do the work for you. I have a DAS6 pro and after doing half the car, I get tingling fingers from the vibration(insert joke here) of the machine. It does weigh quite a bit too so take this into account when choosing your machine.

I got a silverline rotary polisher for abour £40. Its got slow start and variable speed.
It does not 'orbit' but as long as you dont leave the polishing head static on the paint its perfect.

Dont go spending loads i pay £4 a pad and i do pay a bit for polish as cheep stuff isnt very good.
For a beginner you want polish that breaks down to make it easier for you to apply.
If you want more info let me know and i will give you more detailed info

saj said:
I have a DAS6 pro and after doing half the car, I get tingling fingers from the vibration(insert joke here) of the machine. It does weigh quite a bit too so take this into account when choosing your machine.
DON'T CONTINUE USING IT IF THAT HAPPENS! If the machine vibrates that you get that described 'tingling' that means you are esentially damaging the nerve ending in your hands. You are supposed to wear gloves to dull the vibration, so I'd STRONGLY recommend buying a set of anti-vibration gloves if you use it next time. I forget what the illness is called but it's something I learnt when applying for a CSCS card and working on labour sites. It's common and will destroy your senses in your hands if you continue!

^+1. Yes, I agree. Ive only ever used the machine once. Its in the cupbaord in the garage. Im looking to get a rotary as they vibrate less. THanks for the concern :)

White finger?
Clean your car now stock the Rupes copy will do close to rotary while being safer. If your not confident to go rotary and on generally soft Honda paint you need to be careful

Solvalou said:
DON'T CONTINUE USING IT IF THAT HAPPENS! If the machine vibrates that you get that described 'tingling' that means you are esentially damaging the nerve ending in your hands. You are supposed to wear gloves to dull the vibration, so I'd STRONGLY recommend buying a set of anti-vibration gloves if you use it next time. I forget what the illness is called but it's something I learnt when applying for a CSCS card and working on labour sites. It's common and will destroy your senses in your hands if you continue!

DAS Pro perfect for our soft paint...if you are doing a lot of cars the gloves are probably a good idea

Silverline quite heavy....rotary tends to warm paint up more than DA which can make our paint sticky and hard to polish....

Rupes expensive....Flex 3401 forced rotation great polisher, but again not cheap!

You can use microfibre pads on the DA if you want to be a little more agressive...used to correct a Mercedes this weekend....very effective with S3.