Manifold replacement instructions.

Dan Robinson

Grand High Plumber
Reaction score
Car
06 EX Tourer i-CTDI
Removal

1.Remove the engine cover.

2. Remove the catalytic converter bracket, then remove the catalytic converter.

3. Remove the breather hose and vacuum hoses.

4. Remove the vacuum line from the cylinder head cover.

5. Remove three bolts securing the cover.

6. Remove the cover.

7. Remove the sealing bolt and water bypass hose.

8. Remove the turbocharger bracket, then remove the oil bypass pipe.

9. Remove the turbocharger inlet hose and turbocharger outlet hose.

10. Remove the turbocharger, then seal the air inlet, air outlet, oil line hole, and water line hole with tape.

NOTE: To avoid damaging the turbocharger;
•Do not turn the actuator rod adjust nut.
•Do not touch the impeller.

11. Remove the cover, then remove the exhaust joint.

12. Remove the exhaust manifold.

Installation

1. Install the exhaust manifold with a new gasket and new self-locking nuts, and tighten the nuts in a crisscross pattern in two or three steps, beginning with the inner nut.

2. Install the exhaust joint with new gasket, then install the cover.

3. Pour new engine oil into turbocharger oil line.

4. Install the turbocharger with a new gasket.

NOTE: To avoid damaging the turbocharger;
•Do not turn the actuator rod adjust nut.
•Do not touchthe impeller.

5. Install the turbocharger inlet hose and turbocharger outlet hose.

6. Check the bolt and oil bypass pipe for clogged. If they are clogged clean or replace the bolt and/or pipe.

7. Install the oil bypass pipe with new gaskets and new washers.

NOTE: Face the tab of the gaskets to the transmission side.

8. Install the turbocharger bracket.

9. Install the sealing bolt with new washers.

10. Install the water bypass hose.

11. Install the cover on the exhaust manifold, then tighten the three bolts securing the cover.

12. Install the breather hose and vacuum hoses.

13. Install the vacuum line to the cylinder head cover.

14. Install the catalytic converter with new gaskets, then install the catalytic converter bracket.

15. Install the engine cover.

Enjoy.

Damn, can admin correct the ***le please? Blooming RSI :(.

cheers, I'll print this off and make sure its on the car seat when handed over at the local garage next week :)

Certainly not something I would want to try in a hurry.

***le fixed, nice one Dan.

:lol: I was giving a very subtle hint there Adam ;).

Gonna give this a go tomorrow. Will try to take some pics if I can.

Rain stopped me tackling this today so might have to give it a crack at the weekend.

I am guessing that all new replacement manifolds will be of the redesigned variety, is there an easy way to check?

I think they are a one piece casting instead of the old welded design.

Yep... And the welds were p*poor.

OK, looks like the weather is going to be ok tomorrow so hopefully I get to tackle this. I also just got my oil from Lube Tech for the oil change will I will carry out later on but will obviously come in handy for the topup in the turbo during refitting.

Just another quick question at this last minute, are there any other special tools required other than sockets/ratchet, spanners, screwdrivers, rags?

Cheers.

First pic... Here's the contents of the kit, it looks like it contains the following:

- Heat Shield
- Exhaust Manifold
- Manifold gaskets
- Bag of nuts/bolts

11gp00z.jpg

Good luck bud. Be careful with your Turbo!

Oh well, I didn't get very far. I was stuck at an early point,I just couldn't get the leverage to get the bolts for the cat off. I don't have a long lever/breaker bar. For anyone else attempting this bear this in mind, along with a long wall 14mm socket.

Looks like I'll be handing over some cash to Honda to do the work after all. :(

A valiant effort bud...

Picked the car up today from the local Honda dealer who did the exhaust manifold work, smells better in the cabin now.

They initially told me it was a 3 hour job but said it took 5 hours due to some rusty seized bolts. Not sure which bolts they found difficult as the rusty one I came across on the catalytic convertor bracket which is under the car and probably more exposed to moisture I actually managed to get off on my attempt. As far as I can tell all the other bolts would be quite shielded from any moisture. Oh well, they charged my and extra half an hour, 3.5 hours in total although they initially tried to charge me for 4. Cheeky bu**ers.

Will see how the car feels tomorrow from a performance perspective on the longer drive work tomorrow. I kept getting the feeling of hesitation before I gave it in, but that could just be one of those psychological things as I knew something wasn't right.

Had a Jazz 'automatic' as a courtesy car. I hate these semi-auto's that change gear for you. Made me feel like a passenger with a steering wheel! And the radio reception was absolutely rubbish compared to the Accord.

Glad to have my Accord back healthier, I might even treat it to a clean... well the interior anyway :lol:

Hi, does anyone know the approximate cost of the kit? I'm coming to terms with the fact mine's on the way out, oddly mine only smells when it's started, once the car is warm it doesn't smell at all.