What's new

Meguiars Headlamp Restoration Kitgy

f2raf

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Mrs car headlamps on the yaris suffer from getting foggy, which can be an MOT failure, so I thought I would try the Meguiars Headlamp restoration kit.

Currently £18.99 delivered with an extra 10% off at EuCarparts. The box comes with 2 sanding pads with a different grade of sand paper on each side of the pad marked 1-4, a drill operated wool pad and 118ml of PlastX polish. Other tools you will require, a drill of course, masking tape, a water spray can, a deck chair, elbow grease! and a bucket of water with car shampoo.

Mask the outskirts of the headlamp, spray wet the headlamp and pad and use the first sanding pad, which is the most grittiest, making left to right movements applying equal pressure, until the lamp starts looking equally foggy, keep applying water to the headlamp and pad. As the surface was being scratched I could see the yellow oxidised stuff coming of the headlamp. After about 5 to 10 mins of effort, wash and wipe down the lamp and this time repeat the same with the other side of the pad which has the second finer grade on it, but this time in up & down movements until the lamp starts looking foggier again and the scratches change from horizontal to vertical, keep applying water and elbow grease. Basically this step is repeated for all 4 grades of the sand paper. At the end wash down, dry lamp with paper towels, apply PlastX solution to the drill but buffing tool and keep working it on the lamp until all of it has been polished.

30 minutes or so later from start to finish the results were quiet astonishing really as all the yellowy foggy oxidised lamps came up nice and clean. Shampoo & wash the residue

Results in link to album below. Admittedly I spent much longer on the first ns headlamp than the second headlamp and you can marginally see the difference in the last picture. In the earlier pictures you see the before & after shots.

After using the wife's car as a trial I am going to try it on my accord next.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0riC4r9eucjaEpFQkd5VWRtaFE&usp=sharing

Don't use a clear coat in this weather mine didn't come out to well and it's all orange peeled. I might get the kit you got then re do it and coat it in the summer.

im not sure about clear coat on headlamps, come to think of it maybe someone had applied it previously and thats why they looked quiet bad now. I used the Meguiars on the Accord today, it has done a fantastic job. The buffer tool is good, but, one lamp still looked a bit dull, so I worked the PlastX in with a cloth and elbow grease, rapid polishing, and it has turned out exceptionally clean, almost as good as new.