What's new

Metal Filings in Fuel System

donalohagan

Reaction score
Car
2012 Accord.2.2 LX
I had a major failure of my 2012 Accord 2.2 LX when on a motorway journey last Friday. The problem started with a strange whining sound and while attempting to pull in to check it out, the engine cut out and would not re-start. After the tow-truck dropped us to a Honda dealer it was decided to check the high pressure fuel pump at which point they found metal filings in the fuel. The suggestion is that the fuel I bought 80kms before the problem was the cause. My question is therefore has anybody ever suffered a catastrophic failure as a result of bad fuel? As the repair could costs thousands there is a strong possibility that the finger of blame will pointed away from a warranty failure and towards the fuel and consequently it's my intention is to have the fuel independently tested, all of which will likely lead to many weeks without my car.

Any feedback on other's experiences would be appreciated

Isn't that what the fuel filter is there for?

As Matt said your FF should take care of things like this.
I would get Honda to check for these at different parts of the fuel system like starting with your tank

Could there have been any petrol in your diesel? I understand this destroys high pressure fuel pumps.

You might want to contact the filling station manager if you suspect a contamination issue. Others may come out the woodwork later.

Was the metal pre or post fuel filter?

If you are not the 1st owner of the car, might it have been filled with petrol at some point, this would wear the fuel pump causing the filings.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have owned the car from new and no it has never had petrol put in the tank. The fuel was independently tested and it was found to be ok. Honda agreed to replace the fuel pump and high pressure switch. The garage informed me today that the engine would still not start after replacing the parts so further investigations have to take place to find out what's wrong!