What's new

moisture in headlamp

ericuk

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2 i-ctdi exec
I'm sure my mechanic will be able to sort it, but is there an easy way of removing moisture from a headlamp and sealing it correctly? I've read about adding additional clips but if there is a way of clearing the headlight I would like to learn a new skill and do it myself!

Most people just but a small bag of silica gel in the headlight to absorb the moisture similar to what you might sometimes get with a new pair of shoes. There is an official recall for this but it is mainly just add more clips and a bag of silica gel

Thanks for the reply Dave. I will have a look and see what I'm capable of :)

removing that headlight completely from its housing is not for the faint of heart i would imagine.

I'm thinking you could be right toffee. I like the idea of being able to do stuff but my abilities or resources are not matched!

Actually, not that difficult a job as I found out a few weeks ago! Had the same issue and this article by Mr CL7 helped me get my headlight unit out of the car.
The only hiccup I had was the 10mm socket wrench where the extension wasn't long enough. Recommend you have at least a 4 inch extension. 6 or more will make it a cake walk!

Once out, take off the plastic caps, remove all the bulbs and then use a hair dryer to clear up the moisture. When cool, then replace the bulbs and re-seal.

If the problem returns it'll be the sealant & clips that have gone. You'll need to either replace it or pry the unit apart and re-apply new sealant. Let me know if you need help with that as I had to do that too.

I've always thought a 4" extension would have come in handy. tee hee.

Thanks for the tips and article Oliver

Crazy Danish said:
Actually, not that difficult a job as I found out a few weeks ago! Had the same issue and this article by Mr CL7 helped me get my headlight unit out of the car.
The only hiccup I had was the 10mm socket wrench where the extension wasn't long enough. Recommend you have at least a 4 inch extension. 6 or more will make it a cake walk!

Once out, take off the plastic caps, remove all the bulbs and then use a hair dryer to clear up the moisture. When cool, then replace the bulbs and re-seal.

If the problem returns it'll be the sealant & clips that have gone. You'll need to either replace it or pry the unit apart and re-apply new sealant. Let me know if you need help with that as I had to do that too.
I'm glad my topic was of help mate

My mechanic took off a grey plastic cover from the back of the headlight. He said pop it back on in a couple of days. The moisture has pretty much cleared! It may only be a temp fix, but I'm a 'bodge it and scarper' kinda guy ;)

A good fix for this is to remove the headlight and drill a few 1mm holes into the housing from underneath to keep it them ventilated

I wanted to add the holes on mine, but I've been told that it will affect the life of the bulbs.

I replace the cover on the back of the light today and by evening it was moist again! :(

I really can't see a series of 1mm holes would have any detrimental impact on the life of the bulbs. I've done on many cars without issue.

I just got the moisture in mine as well yesterday, blow dried them and the moisture return again this morning :(

I think the silica gel is a quick fix, but would like to have a remedy for permanent fix.
So, what kind of sealant should I use?

I'm sure the unit doesn't hold itself shut as it should and Honda will retro fit some clips that basically sort this. First time I took my car to Honda for an electric window issue after I brought it, they said "we've fitted some clips to the headlamps for you. They were issued for your age of car as misting headlamps is a known fault. It's not cost you anything...". Worth a try mentioning this to your local Honda garage. I mean plenty of people suffer misting headlamps. It's a known problem.

I've only had misting a few times after seriously wet days. It's very slight, goes very soon and doesn't come back until the next super rainy day. I believe most cars suffer this from time to time. I attribute this to clips Honda fitted.

There was a recall on this issue... last time I went to a Honda dealer they told me I should bring my car in to get the work done. That was 2 years ago! I already have silica gel bags inside the cover.

Hey, it's only a short term fix (possibly) but try removing the grey cover of the back of one of the bulbs. It clears my headlamp within a short period. Quick and easy!

I did that yesterday and blew dry with a hair dryer, it was cleared completely. Then the moisture returned this morning.......

Stevearcade said:
I'm sure the unit doesn't hold itself shut as it should and Honda will retro fit some clips that basically sort this. First time I took my car to Honda for an electric window issue after I brought it, they said "we've fitted some clips to the headlamps for you. They were issued for your age of car as misting headlamps is a known fault. It's not cost you anything...". Worth a try mentioning this to your local Honda garage. I mean plenty of people suffer misting headlamps. It's a known problem.

I've only had misting a few times after seriously wet days. It's very slight, goes very soon and doesn't come back until the next super rainy day. I believe most cars suffer this from time to time. I attribute this to clips Honda fitted.
Hi,

Honda dealer fitted clips to my car healights and still they mist. Saw mist yesterday after I had the lights on due to heavy rain. It has gone this morning but I am concerned as I have an MOT coming up shortly.

Tafia said:
Hi,

Honda dealer fitted clips to my car healights and still they mist. Saw mist yesterday after I had the lights on due to heavy rain. It has gone this morning but I am concerned as I have an MOT coming up shortly.
Not sure if the mist would fail the MOT.
I said that because I just passed it this morning with some moisture in them