What's new

Mot fail

Yadash

Members
Reaction score
After having realised that our MOT was 3 days overdue, we booked an appointment and went down today. The accord failed on three points;
1) Nearside all position lamps not working
2) Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive
3) Offside front steering rack gaiter split
Does anyone know how easy it is to sort out the last two and what I might be able to do to solve it, and for the headlight, do I buy a new headlight or is there something I can do to fix the current one

With the emissions see if you can sweet talk an MOT test centre near you.

With the gaitor split, give VtecDirect a call mate.

what year is your accord??

On old models the rust and road grim can make getting the track-rod-end off a bit of a night mare! i had to cut into mine and heat to glowing red hot to get 1 off :eek: b4 you can change the gaitor.

a wee cheeky bottel of red-x from halfords would help drop the CO[sup]2[/sup] and filling up with V power. the higher you get the octane count the lower the emissions.

when it says all positons not working i pick this up two ways lol ether the headlight adjustor isnt working or more likely the side light and head light are broken on the passengers side :) can you give any more info plz

Yep what Gordon says, with the fueling, and make sure the cat is hot, drive it hard before you go to MOT

Inner boot, is outer tie rod off jobby: wd40 the lock nut, and ball joint, night before, then spin the nut off the ball joint, then split the ball joint with a ball joint splitter, then wind the outer tie rod off. Take the old inner boot off, and slip the new one one. Really you should go for tracking after that, but if you creative with the marking of where the tie rod was last on the screw thread then you can put it back to where it was pretty well.

Thanks so much everybody, I don't think I'll be able to do the gaitor because my car is one of the older models (T-reg :/) However, I shall drive the car hard before the MOT to see if that will work :D