What's new

Moving from 7G Tourer to 8G Tourer advice

Bounder

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Type S CW3
After a recent rear end accident my 08 EX Tourer has been written off, I am thinking of moving to an 8th Gen but am unsure as to which spec would be comparable, looking at Autotrader decent lowish 70k milers EX Facelifts are around the high 8 to low 9 mark, I know the space isn't the same as the 7th Gen but I think with just one dog it should still do me OK.
Is there a lot of difference between the ESGT and the EX specs? EXGT would be nice but they seem to be a very short production run and there is only one showing which is a 2010, I'd prefer to go the facelift if possible but are they worth the extra money over the PFL 8th Gen?

All the specs seem pretty close and I don't really want a sunroof although I like them if its going to cause a problem in the future with rust.

Whoops... sorry, I was just deleting some spam and I accidentally deleted someone's post. I didn't see who's it was. Sorry guys :unsure: .

My facelift ES GT has nav and rear camera. It has half leather unheated manual seats and no parking sensors. I've no sunroof. My boot lid doesn't open itself. The mirrors have electric fold, but are not automatic. My lights and wipers are both manual. I missed some of these toys when I went from a EX 7th Gen, but (affordable) EX 8th Gen (diesel manual gearbox) were rarer than hens teeth at the time. I'd say go for the most solid car on the day. If it comes with EX stuff -great, if not you'll get on just fine without them.

I'm thinking the average spec even on ES-GT is pretty high, I'd like Park sensors and a Reverse cam would be handy for hitching trailers but its not an essential.
I've never really worried about bodykits on my cars, the crap roads here would make anything too low a liability.
I'm thinking a decent EX spec will be OK, I can always use a rusty sunroof as a big bargaining tool!

I've got a '10 Type S. when they stopped the EXGT the Type S sort of replaced it. mine is prefacelift. Spec wise its the same spec as an EXGT but without sunrooft and with more power. They are pretty rare but you may get lucky. I drove from South Wales to Cambridge for mine,lol. I do like the sensors and camera, the camera especially. I live on a terraced street with on street parking thats quite tight and its a god send.

I've seen a few Type S come up lately, Evans Halshaw had a roughish looking 2012 with a towhitch for 8k but I don't like buying cars with hitches fitted as you don't know how they have been used.
There's a very clean 2014 Type S with 46k listed at the moment but at 13.5k its just a bit too much. I'd be looking at 8-9k and not black which rules out quite a few EX Tourers.

Update:
I have put a deposit down on a 13 plate Black Type S, I'll fly over next week and pick it up subject to inspection.
I wasn't a fan of black and may never be but to be honest I don't have a car at the moment and where I live its not an option to not have one.
The price difference between the Type S and the EX wasn't huge and I fancied the extra ponies and the little extras the Type S has.
I'll update if and when I have it back and registered over here.

Hey bounder, how did you fare out with the move to the 8th gen tourer?

I know its an old thread but i also moved from a 7g tourer sport to an 8g ES GT

Would like to know your thoughts

Hi Alan,

I have the 8th Gen since August last year.
Its going well, I like the extra power and the handling is improved on the 7th gen Tourer.
Fuel economy isn't any better but given there is another 40hp I think its pretty reasonable.
I fitted a genuine Honda Towhitch that I got from a place in Hungary for very small money, mainly to help with rear bumper damage from other drivers.
I did a mini service as soon as I got back, filters and oil. For a car bought from Honda in the UK I felt the servicing was poor, air and pollen were filthy and the oil filter was a blueprint.
Coolant was changed last weekend and I still have to do the brake fluid and clutch fluid.
Front discs and pads were changed by me a few months back, not really necessary but I felt the discs were past their best. The rubber bellows on the front calipers have holes in them so they will be on the to do list but apart from those things I am happy, the only thing I would like is the boot space of the 7th Gen, that was a really practical car.

Hey Bounder,

Good points about the new wheels, I too find the boot space a lot less than the 7gen especially with 2 big dogs to fit in.
I also have an after market Bosal tow hitch fitted but not for pulling trailers!

I have a few little jobs to do to to be 100% happy with it.

I recently bought a full size 17" wheel as a spare to match the originals and have fitted a set of Heko wind deflectors.

The handling is a big improvement over the older model and I too have to do a job on the front calipers, they are not
seized but are tight on the disc, after every spin the front discs are really hot and the rears just about warm, the car is
8 years old now with 220,000km so they are due an overhaul.

What I really like about the Type S is the HID lights and the extra 40bhp !

Chat later, A

I must say that the extra 40hp and ***ociated torque makes a difference for sure, I forgot about the HID lights they are Bi-Xenon on the TS and they do work very well.
The lenses are getting a little cloudy now so could probably do with a refresh.
Its a better drivers car but less practical is how I would put it.
You'll probably find the slider pins are a little sticky and you may not need to do much else, to get them free. Worth doing the whole lot though if you have them off, I have a big tub of red rubber grease if you need some for a rebuild.

Thanks for the offer bounder, i have pretty much all the tools and greases needed. I have done a few calipers now and i would indeed opt for a rebuild and have them done to eliminate future woes.