What's new

MPG and knock sensor

skhell

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8, 6th gen Accord
Hi guys,

It's a known fact, the 6th gen Accord has some drinking problems. But some of them drink much more than others. Mine was one of these.

Let me start from the beginning. Some of you guys might know that my car is running on LPG and that I had some problems with the knock sensor on my Accord. First, the car started to pinging/knocking, but only when running on Petrol, but since I always run on LPG, didn't care too much, until one day I decided to take a look at the knock sensor. The sensor plug was connected, but as soon as I touched it, the sensor got broken in half.... At that moment, I panicked :angry:, I didn't knew what to do, so decided to put it back in place :blush:.Turned on the engine, drive a few kms, no CEL and the car was running as it was before, so, I didn't care too much, for a while....

Later, I decided to buy a knock sensor from ebay, since a Honda knock sensor was too expensive(180€). Fitted the new sensor, no CEL, engine running as it was before :) Thought the problem was solved.

After a few months, I noticed the MPG was getting too low. Something that I was suspecting even before the knocking problems and the knock sensor adventure...

Then, I decided to try the old sensor(the broken one) to see if it would influence the MPG. When I did this, I broke the ebay knock sensor and the original knock sensor was no longer working and made the CEL to turn on :wacko:. I had to buy another one, but this decided to go to Honda.

After a few months of driving with the new sensor from Honda, I can ***ure you that my MPG got much better! I still don't have accurate numbers, but I guess that i gained something between 1 to 3 liters/100kms, depending on the type of driving, just by changing the knock sensor with a brand new one from Honda.

So, if you have poor MPG, and have done everything else, take a look at your knock sensor, even if you don't have a CEL. But don't buy a cheap one go for Honda on these delicate parts of engine management!

The problem with this is that it's quite hard(or impossible) to diagnose the knock sensor, and a Honda sensor is quite expensive...

Good result in the end, even if it was expensive, the Honda sensor works properly and should last a long time. Sometime it is better to just bite the bullet and pay for an original part as it can work out better in the long run.

Ou of interested why would the knock sensor make such a difference to MPG, was it making engine run more leaner?

exec said:
Good result in the end, even if it was expensive, the Honda sensor works properly and should last a long time. Sometime it is better to just bite the bullet and pay for an original part as it can work out better in the long run.

Ou of interested why would the knock sensor make such a difference to MPG, was it making engine run more leaner?
I have no idea... but I guess it was either advancing too much the ignition point, or retarding it too much...