What's new

MTF Change 2.4 Petrol

jayok

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
CRV / S2000
Hi,

I am looking to change the MTF in my 2.4 Petrol Type-S. There seems to be plenty of people around of changed this, but it's more the diesel that the petrol, so I'm looking for some details on the 2.4 petrol specifically

1. The drain bolt - is it a bolt of a 3/8" hex? (i.e. will a socket remove it)
2. The crush washer for the drain bolt, is it the same as the Oil drain plug??
3. Do I need a crush washer for the drain bolt, check bolt and filler bolt?
4. Is the fill-hole how you fill this, or is it via the check hole (as per the user manual)

<edit>Parts

Also - Is 15 on top the filler hole? 15 on the side the check hole and 10 the drain plug ?

Thanks!!

Hi,

I am looking to change the MTF in my 2.4 Petrol Type-S. There seems to be plenty of people around of changed this, but it's more the diesel that the petrol, so I'm looking for some details on the 2.4 petrol specifically

1. The drain bolt - is it a bolt of a 3/8" hex? (i.e. will a socket remove it)
2. The crush washer for the drain bolt, is it the same as the Oil drain plug??
3. Do I need a crush washer for the drain bolt, check bolt and filler bolt?
4. Is the fill-hole how you fill this, or is it via the check hole (as per the user manual)

<edit>Parts

Also - Is 15 on top the filler hole? 15 on the side the check hole and 10 the drain plug ?

Thanks!!
Im sure the drain bolt is a 3/8" hex but not 100%.
you will need crush washers for both bolts just ask a dealer for the right ones there penny's.
The check hole is the filler hole as well and the fluid needs to be level with the bottom of the hole.Make sure you are on level ground when doing this
I dont no what you mean by 15 and 10 but the filler hole is above the drain hole.Also im sure its around 1.9l for a transmission oil change.

Im sure the drain bolt is a 3/8" hex but not 100%.
you will need crush washers for both bolts just ask a dealer for the right ones there penny's.
The check hole is the filler hole as well and the fluid needs to be level with the bottom of the hole.Make sure you are on level ground when doing this
I dont no what you mean by 15 and 10 but the filler hole is above the drain hole.Also im sure its around 1.9l for a transmission oil change.

Hi Brett - thanks for the response.

I meant Number 15 and 10 in the Part's catalogue in the link provided.

Re the 3/8" bolt, I actually meant square, not hex.

Thanks.

Hi

I belive you need a special tool as the access to the drain plug is limited. Well thats the case on the 2.0i-vtec atleast

I belive you need a special tool as the access to the drain plug is limited. Well thats the case on the 2.0i-vtec atleast

Well, I've just changed it. You need a 3/8" square drive to open the plug - I used my 3/8" torque wrench.

You'll also need a 14mm and 20mm crush washer. One for the plug and one for the check hold. The 14mm is the same as the sump plug.

It took a little over 2 litres to completely fill (I put about 2.1 litres in) and had it weeping out the check hole.

Wasn't difficult, but trickey to complete as taking down the splash shield was a pain.

Looking at the used MTF, there was definately gunk in it and shift is much smoother now.

Quick one following on from this on the petrol 2.4 TS. Has anyone refilled from the top of the gear box via the dipstick hole as I'm unsure if there is another fill hole on the top of the gearbox accessible via the engine bay which is going to be much easier than the check hole just up from the drain plug?

There isn't a dipstick for the manual gearbox - there's only one check/fill hole. It may be possible to fill it from the engine using tubing though although I've not done it myself.

Cliffordski said:
There isn't a dipstick for the manual gearbox - there's only one check/fill hole. It may be possible to fill it from the engine using tubing though although I've not done it myself.
No tubing for the manual gearbox. I just used a long tube and filled it from the engine bay.

Although my pre facelift manual 2.4 type s does not have the actual dipstick it does have a dipstick hole which is blanked off with a removable rubber cap which is easily removed. Ray, do you mean you filled via the 17mm inspection hole slightly above the drain plug ?

If it's the one I think you mean it's a breather vent not a dipstick hole. I've not heard of anyone using it to fill the box with oil.

Blanco808 said:
Although my pre facelift manual 2.4 type s does not have the actual dipstick it does have a dipstick hole which is blanked off with a removable rubber cap which is easily removed. Ray, do you mean you filled via the 17mm inspection hole slightly above the drain plug ?
Yup, I filled from the inspection/fill hole.

Many thanks gents guess I'll have to use a piece of garden hose on the end of a funnel to fill it again. Can't understand why Honda didn't just include fill holes on top of the box for all models !