What's new

My little session today

Dan Robinson

Grand High Plumber
Reaction score
Car
06 EX Tourer i-CTDI
Well had a good couple of hours with the snow foam, lambs wool mit, and Turtle Wax/Shampoo 2-in-1 and a chamois.

Bare in mind it had spent nearly two weeks in an open air car park near Heathrow so had this lovely fine dust that we only seem to get in this country. I was itching to have a good go at it since I picked it up yesterday.

SANY0001.JPG

SANY0002.JPG

Finally a decent shot of the engine bay after a snow foam and light pressure washer spray. Full JavJav style degrease coming soon - but the lazy *** version ;) :

SANY0004.JPG

Had good fun with the leaf blower afterwards giving then engine a good blow dry. B)

Oh, and tyre dressing spray shouldn't be used on Tarmac drives :(.

Nice Dan what happen to the drive mate

Were the spray dribbled off and settled on the tarmac it has dissolved the top layer. Not much, and the whole thing needs re-laying anyway. But it is yet another thing that can affect tarmac. Useless stuff - its soft, absorbent and has no structural integrity whatsoever :(.

Sorry to hear that i think the best stuff is the concrete that they lay.My sister had it and you can choose what coil our and design you want.
The only downside its not cheap.
So all this cleaning your doing is this for the meet if your coming.

No just my OCD... it keeps me relaxed and outside :D

Not looking hopeful for the meet I'm afraid :(

Ok mate ill keep my fingers crossed anyway.

As you say just needs the tyres sorting to give it the finishing touch B)

The bizarre thing is - that was after the dressing spray was used :unsure:

I pour tyre dressing into a container and use a paint brush to apply to the tyres. You use less dressing and get a better finish in my experience.

Dan I would recommend you ditch the chamois for some proper MF drying towels.

I have a drying towel bud - don't get on with it.... although the chamois is a pain with the friction over the paint.

Think will just use the two cans of spray I have and follow your advice and buy some that can be brushed on... I was always a bit worried about the alloys reacting with the cleaner too.

Nice one Dan. You need to get hold of a proper oil filler cap. I bet you nicked that one off your son's toy tractor :lol: :lol:

:lol: That was a Sunday, 15:30 emergency trip to Halfrauds after the OEM one exploded... Personally I quite like it... Might paint it red though :p

Dan try this for your tyres i think Jav uses this as well.

http://www.performancemotorcare.com/acatalog/Meguiars_Gold_Class_Endurance_High_Gloss_Tyre_Gel.html

Just twigged why my tyres were that way... Used the wrong can of cleaner :lol: It was meant for the Alloys !!!
Doh2.gif

Just ran out to wipe it off with fresh water and apply the right stuff - only for the door to shut behind me :eek:

I am getting worryingly proficient at breaking into my own house nowadays.
wooyeah.gif

Still have shiny black tyres now :D Which is nice.

It must be the jet lag :lol:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_753215_langId_-1_categoryId_165682

Might be a happy medium - I know Turtle Wax doesn't have a great rep on TA, but for convenience and quick results its is OK. Taking advantage of the 3-4-2 offer at the moment in Halfrauds.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_753215_langId_-1_categoryId_165682

Might be a happy medium - I know Turtle Wax doesn't have a great rep on TA, but for convenience and quick results its is OK. Taking advantage of the 3-4-2 offer at the moment in Halfrauds.
I haven't used it Dan but give it a go and let us no the results.
Years ago a guy in work swore by using diesel for black plastics and tyres.
Whether this is true i was always to scared to use it.

I haven't used it Dan but give it a go and let us no the results.
Years ago a guy in work swore by using diesel for black plastics and tyres.
Whether this is true i was always to scared to use it.

I had a diesel covered rag (from changing the fuel filter) that I used to clean the rocker cover with which did quite a nice job, then accidentally rubbed it against a plastic surface which suddenly looked quite clean and shiny and new (diesel is an oil after all) so got a little OCD and cleaned all the plastic surfaces. It looked very good at the time but not sure how long it lasted and what it looks like now as haven't opened the bonnet in 2 months. I doubt the result lasted very long though as the fuel would evaporate off. But I don't see why it would do any harm. I've been using petrol to clean surfaces for years while doing engine repairs and that's never caused an issue. But I wouldn't use it to clean tyres a) fuel is too expensive to use for that and B) there are so many better products on the market which would give better longer lasting results.

But the fuel n that rag would probably be a mornings worth of fuel :p

Yeah, surprising how much still comes out the fuel filter when you change it even after its supposedly drained. :(

All that fuel could have got my efficient diesel at least 100 miles, according to the on board computer anyway! :lol:

Boiled linseed oil is good for brining dull plastics back to life, but remember to store the used rags in a steel biscuit tin and keep in sealed.

Another good one for tyres, and available from Halfrauds is 'Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel'. It's like a purple gunge type stuff that you can apply with an old sponge. Used it for a couple of years and it stays on the tyres for ages and just fades gradually over time rather than washing off in light drizzle like most do. Much better than the aerosols IMHO.

Rubber doesn't like oil, so don't use diesel on your tyres. Not only that, but it will cause browning of the tyre wall.

Clean the tyres with a good APC (all purpose cleaner), dry and then dress with a suitable product. Megs Endurance Tyre Gel is very good, available from Halfords and lasts a good while too.

Rubber doesn't like oil, so don't use diesel on your tyres. Not only that, but it will cause browning of the tyre wall.

Clean the tyres with a good APC (all purpose cleaner), dry and then dress with a suitable product. Megs Endurance Tyre Gel is very good, available from Halfords and lasts a good while too.

In there before me Shiny, how is the ATR ?